Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Valve stem seals? Renault 10

PaS83

Enthusiast
Hello

Nearly a year ago I bought an old Renault 10 with seized engine, with a little rust remover, diesel and mild violence the engine now turns just fine.

On closer inspection of the cylinder head, I have seen that it has no valve stem seals fitted and they are not in any pictures or mentioned in any
of the three different workshop manuals I have.
Can it be supposed to be entirely without stem seals? The engine has almost certainly never been disassembled before...

I do have seals that fits, guess it can not do any harm to mount these?

The engine is a 810-03 1.289cc

Hi .
Out of intrest what car where the valve stem seals that you fitted in to your renault 10 engine? Im rebuilding a mk1 renault 5 engine and as the book shows no valve stem seals I wanted to fit some but am not sure on which ones to use.

Thanks.

all renaults 4/5/6/8/10/models did not have valve stem seals, it never was a problem with these cars
I cannot assit you on info about fitting of these as i have never tried and i have had lots of cylinder heads offf these cars over the years and never foundhad an oil eaking into the cylinders a prob.

Would this explain why I am having massive problems searching for valve stem seals for my 79 "Le Car"?

have a funny feeling that the volvo version of these engines did have stem seals fitted
volvo 343 with b 14 engine code
suppose if you have slight wear in your valve guides it might help

The machine shop was able to fit replacement seals for the one's they removed. They showed me what came out of the head, and since I have been looking at this stuff for about 48 hours straight. They look like those for an R5 GT Turbo. Like this:

• Valves.JPG
    Valves.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
Those look like the ones that keep turning up in my gasket sets. It will be interesting to know if I could have been fitting them rather than chucking them away.

One thought - It will presumably reduce the life of the guides if you stop oil running down them.

Last edited:
Back