Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Vintage options?

stork

Enthusiast
Hello again,
I tried to do a search but came up with nothing... Anyway, I was wondering what sort of options/extras did Renault or others make for the R4?
I was recently at a VW show and this one early bug was bursting at the seams with options. From roof racks, muffler tips, rattan shelf (under the dash), ice holder to cool the air coming into the cabin, bug hood window deflector, etc. Etc. Etc.
I figured that the R4 would have had some sort of option market as well (especially in the ninteen sixties)...
I already know (and lust for) the Sinpar 4x4 option, any others out there?
Pictures welcomed!
Robert

Most VW owners, especially in the States, thought of it as a big toy, and that's why the list of factory or aftermarket accessories was so extensive.

The R4 was a real workhorse and targeted to a completely different buyers' group. It simply had no options to choose from, other than a sunroof, and at some times metallic colours. Instead you could choose between a 747 or 845cc engine (at least in France), and two or three levels of equipment.

What had our cars as option but was not really the owner's choice was the component selection according to the place of the world it was going to be sold. There were at least 60 R4 versions, differing either at some obvious points (e.g. RHD or LHD) or to details like three suspension setups (city roads, poor roads, off road!), heating and cooling system performance, electrical equipment which at some times included headlamp wiper/washers, special carburettors for high altitude driving and so on. That was necessary on a car sold on all five continents...

like Angel says the R4 was first and foremost a workhorse,so Original options were kept mostly to bare necessities.Ofcourse then along came Record/Robri/Autobleu/Gradulux/O.L.D etc.etc. suppliers of exhaust-tails/chromed trimmings/grilles/horns/persian blinds/roof-racks/extra lights/oil-coolers/filters/chromed this and that etc
-Most of which were designed to make your wallet lighter,Some of which is nice but wont make your 4 go faster.Lot of it looks nicer kept in the original box it came in..
-Re the Bug-craze with absolutely all options To me it looks silly-Some stuff ok but more and more people seems to go for ALL which ruins the car for me as I see only a bunch of chromed details and no completeness but Hey it's free world right? -R.

Interesting... That is one of the reasons I like the R4 over it's competitors... It is a work horse! I would like to know more about the suspension options. Are these just different shocks or was the body reenforced? Did they have a suspension lift to accomidaed to the poor roads? What about tire/wheel options? Did they have special rough road tires/wheels?
How about the transmission. Did they have lower gearing for rough road countries?
As for cooling... Did they have larger radiators or a larger fan (or two fans?)
I figure the higher altitude setup was either larger jets or a different carb.
I do like the front headlight wipers! Very forward thinking!
Lastly, is there a book out there that shows these different models/options?
Thanks for the information!
Robert

HI Robert! -you can find tidbitz of info on the various accessories for the 4 in several books and magazines like Auto Collection No 73 (see eBay etc) and also Gazoline No 37 (covers R4 1962-70) and No 40 (covers R4 1971-93) All these are mags so no ISBN-numbers Sorry!
At one time you could have dampers complete with coil-overs for the front at least.
Don't know how efficient they were-Don't even know if they had progressive or static coils...
as far as I know you wont find it all in one place,so you'll have to sniff around.
-On the pre-series used by Renault to road-test the 4 they had a special-arrangement on the rear-looks like an outside assist coil-spring plus Big rubber-stops both on top and bottom-All sat on inside of rear-frames.They at least discussed if this device should be delivered as an option or even as standard for cars ment for rough roads like Africa etc. Don't know if it reached production tho'
-Some R4's ment for Norway had a beefier heater-matrix, Rought terrain tires i would stay clear off as they are a Pain in the A** when driving on tarmac. Noisy and unstable. I'd even stay clear of the Michelin MX's (Boy do I put my head on the block here!)Front headlight wipers are naff-They usually just give you lots of bother and works erraticly.That's the brilliant idea behind the concave lense on the 4, it creates an air-cushion or bubble to help prevent muck&mud sticking onto lens-
-Ok-I'd better let others on here have their say as well.Best of luck finding and buying your 4 Robert..... -R.

I've seen rear louvered blinds for the R4 on cars at Thenay, and opening, hinged rear windows.

There will be quite a few bits and pieces for the 4, but they won't probably be as well known as firms like EMPI.

Reiddalpine, where would I find gazoline magazine? Are they a French pupblication? I have googled it but I don't get a magazine....
Thanks!
Robert

The "poor road" setup had some chassis reinforcements along with gas-pressurized shocks fitted as standard. It also had thicker front anti-roll bar, rear anti-roll bar as standard, and at some (later) point of production, thicker torsion bars. On these cars you could also find reinforced wishbones and rear arms with bump stops, gearbox undertray and an extra front bumper mouting.

The "off road" (equipement speciale) had the same suspension components as the "poor road" versions but was fitted with torsion bars from the Fourgonette, giving it an even firmer ride. Plus, there was a really effective gearbox / sump undertray fitted (take a look at simonandjulliet's thread about the Sinpar restoration) and some other nice features like shields on rear drums and seals around the hubcaps.

Tires were always standard, either 135/13 or 145/13, as well as suspension ride height (but it was up to the owner's choice to raise it, as it could easily be altered).

"Cold weather" R4s had a thicker heater matrix (double thickness at some times) and hot air ducting to the rear passenger footwell area. R4 drivers living in hot areas would take their revenge for having cold feet in the winter when summer came over and they didn't have to change the thermostat (factory-fitted 74 deg. one). But our R4s would also look with envy their brothers destined to African countries, since they had copper core radiators (more effective).

I hope you were truly infected from the R4 virus after all of these!

Reiddalpine, where would I find gazoline magazine? Are they a French pupblication? I have googled it but I don't get a magazine....
Thanks!
Robert

Yes they are French magazines-pop up regularly on eBay especially eBay.Fr

Thank you for the info on the mags... Just bought #37 and looking for #40.
Angel, you are killing me! My mind is spinning! Now I can really look into building the perfect R4!
I take it that building a poor road variant should be straight forward less the chassis reinforcements. Would you know how that was done?
How about the anti roll bars are these still available? And the thicker wishbone?
Lastly, I have a question on the hand crank starting handle. Was this an option? I see some R4's with the hole in the front bumper but other without it. Or was it phased out in the later production models?
Thanks again!
Robert

I think finding a poor road version would be far easier than building it. The "equipement speciale" and its parts is rather hard to find nowadays.

The starting handle was fitted to R4s until the end of 1971 model year. Not coincidentally this was the year of 12V electrics, and Renault became at least confident about their performance...

Thanks angel,
Can one still use a starting handle on a post 71 (if the put on a pre 71 bumper)? or is there something in the way?
I like the starting handle especially since the starter (from what I have read) can give issues. I Drive Land Rovers and even though I have yet to use the starting handle it is reassuring that it is there! That and it helps when doing engine work and one needs to rotate the crank.
I am looking for a pre 75 but I would like 12V (easier to live with) so just wondering how difficult it would be to add the starting handle.
Good to know that it would be easier to find one, but most likely it would have lead a hard life... I like having these problems!

I think it is a matter of gearboxes, not only of holes here and there...

In the land rover the starting handle attaches to the pulley (through the holes that support the rotational force) and that is where the rotation takes place (from the outside source) I don't know how its set up in the R4 but I would figure it is the same set up until the larger engine came in... just a guess.

On the Renault 4 the starter handle connects to a shaft sticking out of the front of the gearbox. The shaft was there for the 3 speed boxes and the early 4 speed (which was based on the 3 speed). Later gearboxes did not have the shaft.

I thought the gearbox changed for 1975 model year. My '73 had it (though that was 1972 model year). Not sure if the '73 had the hole in the bumper for the starter handle.

Thanks Malcolm...
What is the difference between the early 4 speed and the later 4 speed (without the shaft)? Was there a change in gearing as well? As stated I would like to have the starting handle so I was wondering if there was a change in gearing/performance...
Robert

The gearbox was changed in late '73 for the cast iron one, but also the late aluminum gearboxes ('72 and '73) had the starting handle dog removed. In practice it is not possible to convert such a gearbox for manual starting since the primary shaft must be replaced.
However you could well fit such a gearbox to any later 845 / 782 cc engine. Gear ratios differ slightly, but not to the point that will make it useless.

Angel
Thanks again for your knowledge on the subject! Good to know that I can fit the early transmission to the later 845. It will make finding the proper R4 a much easier job.
Would you know if the gearing was changed for the poor road R4's?
Robert

Thanks Malcolm...
What is the difference between the early 4 speed and the later 4 speed (without the shaft)? Was there a change in gearing as well? As stated I would like to have the starting handle so I was wondering if there was a change in gearing/performance...
Robert

The shift pattern differed also. The early gearbox had reverse opposite first and fourth gear was out on the right by itself. The later box had reverse out by itself in a more conventional H-pattern.

All R4's had the hand crank start handle and hole in the front bumper until 1971. This was standard and not an option. I guess it was phased out because of increased reliability of batteries and starters. But few things give more satisfaction than hand starting a R4 when your battery is flat after you forgot to switch off headlights.

Back