Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Water pump plus tensioner needed. R4 850cc

Aleggett

Hi, has anyone here got a 850cc R4 water pump for sale? Or is anyone able to point me in the right direction for one please?

I’m new to R4 ownership so still getting my head around where’s best for parts!

Casting for tensioner adjustment has snapped off and the tensioner itself appears to be bent. Looks very similar to an early R5 pump?

Thanks,
Andy

72369E13-2AAD-41D8-A2BA-1F27B110528A.jpeg C8E0CE4B-C2E3-4C4C-B6B0-1F2095645452.jpeg

Hi Andy
Is it my imagination, or does your upper hose go to the top right of the radiator (viewed from the inside of the car)? As you say, your pump does look like an early R5 (3-bearing engine) pump - lower hose to bottom left of radiator, upper to top right, 3 vertical pipes on top, plus any other pipes that go to the carb base. Could you tell us the numbers on your engine plate and oval plate? Any chance of some more photos showing the radiator?
I think a search for 850 R4 pumps is likely to give the wrong results.
I'm pretty sure I have a pump like this somewhere.

thanks for your reply! The engine has been replaced in the past and I think the radiator is off the original 750cc, but you’re right in that the pump would’ve been connected to the bottom left and top right originally, both connections were on the left but with expansion bottle on the right. Having researched early r5 pumps it looks identical. Will see about getting some more pics and numbers.

Here’s the engine (before the radiator connections were properly sorted)

38906931-B4DA-4D21-AAC5-67E5FC2C5BD1.png

The engine has previously been replaced with a Renault 5 l base spec engine which is a completely different set up noticed the alternator is sitting lower than is normal this was because on the Renault 5 the spare wheel had to sit on top of the distributor cap area and and your alternative would be by find the correct Renault 4 845 CC pump and then change all the hoses back to what should be there from the factory but without a donor vehicle this could prove difficult
There is normally loads of 845 CC Renault 5 water pumps available on eBay cheap as there are no Renault 5 left still running around with this engine

however the tensioner is not part of the pump
too long ago for me to advise further

Back