Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Water pump Unheaded bolts

lazyduck15

Enthusiast
Hello Everybody

Some wisdom required as to solve an issue due to rust. Trying to remove an old water pump from an R5 engine, 2 out of three bolts have lost their head, so far. The way it goes it seems that I will end up with four damaged bolts or chances are 5 out of six.
Any suggestions as to how to remove the pump itself and afterwards what is left from the bolts? :confused:
Regards

• TORNILLO BOMBA AGUA CAPADO.jpg
    TORNILLO BOMBA AGUA CAPADO.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 146
  • TORNILLO BOMBA AGUA CAPADO 2.jpg
    TORNILLO BOMBA AGUA CAPADO 2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 142
Normally it's easier to get the rest out, take the water pump off and then you'll be able to plus gas/heat/wire brush/manipulate the remaining part of the studs out of the head. It does look like its just the heads have come off so once the pumps been removed, there should be plenty of stud left to grip.

With the remainder of the bolts, I'd be going very gently, and I always tighten slighty before removing and just gently turn back and forwards until the start moving easily, I've found as I've got older that being gentle and patient can save an awful lot of time and trouble in the long run :)

These bolts are rusted into the pump body but the threaded part that goes into the head may be okay. In the past I have measured the length of a spare bolt and then drilled out the rusted bolt to within 3/8" of the head. I have then carefully manipulated the pump body by gently tapping it and using a lever until it frees itself from the head. As there is still 3/8" of the bolt protruding from the head, this is enough to grip and hopefully the remainder will come out. If not then heat / plus gas etc helps as Pepper has suggested.

Thanks Pepper and Steve

I will follow your advice. One thing seems to be not easy to me: Centering a drill on the remaining of the bolt without going against the walls at the pump, Sorry for my poor English, I understand that Gas(penetrating oil? Or gasoline?)/Heat)/etc.. :)

No more loses!

Thanks again Pepper and Steve
I removed the remaining three bolts as per your directions and voilá!, Pump has been removed. One of the unheaded bolts was too short to be inside the head so it came out with the pump, the other one remained on the head and from there I can take it out with some more penetrating oil and a pair of pliers.
It pays being part of this forum! Thanks guys!
Have a nice weekend

Back