Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wedging doors open

Yeah-close them Ever so careful! -alternatively... remember those awful red slippers you got from granny at christmas-stick em in there! -R.

If you jack up the car to an angle of 45 degrees the doors will stay open without any assistance. Repeat the procedure for the other side ;)

But if you jack the other side up by 45 degrees as well, wont you be back to a level car again???? :)

Sorry - should have made it clearer - you jack one side up at a time!!

Thinking back, I used a block of wood in the door jamb to keep it open if I was welding the floor, putting in a new clutch cable etc etc. Used the same block of wood when I worked on Mini's as well so I'm afraid that the wood was not R4 exclusive!

Try hooking an elastic luggage cord from the door handle to the front overrider. Works for me!

You'd need to weld in some of those metal strips you see on new cars. They are bent with a "hump" that slides over some other piece of metal (the strip itself is pushed to that piece of metal). Those strips tend to stick from the body into the door and they rotate along with the door when you open it. They provide just enough friction to have the door stay open when you open it. Though I think you might have to use some pretty heavy duty ones since the doors on an R4 are quite leaning inside, which will have gravity working against you pretty badly when you want to install such a system. Can't think of any easy solutions.

Back