Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Well I picked up an nice little car today I could do with a little help identifying it please...

pepper

Pepper The One and Only!
A few weeks ago there was a 1963 Renault 4 on ebay with the Reg RVS343.

I quite fancied the car as it would be a tax free motor and I've always loved the earlier interiors.

Anyway I was helping my friend that day pick up the other 4 that was given away on the forum here and missed bidding on the car.

So I sent the chap a message saying "if it all falls through give me a call"! Two weeks ago he gave me a call said it hadn't worked out and the chap hadn't contacted him so I could have it, I had to check with Judith first so rang back later that day saying yes please, at which point he said the bloke had been in contact and still wanted it. I said fair enough but you've got my number! Yesterday evening he sent me a message saying it had fallen through and I could have it again if I wished, so wasting no time at all I nipped down to Southampton and picked the car up before any other minds were changed!

It says on the Reg doc its a 1963, but we all know it isn't and someone threatened to report him via the ebay messaging system to DVLA during the auction!

Its had its original registration plate removed and now has an age related non transferable plate on it.

Its quite straight underneath but looks like its had a replacement front end at some stage as the panels paint isn't as good a quality as the other panels.

It has 40,000 miles on the clock has a lovely straight interior. Chap I bought it from says the engine has a knocking noise from the timing chain area, so I'll try and get it started and see if Its easily sorted!

10472577_10153065531183761_1492955816935289463_n.jpg

10354948_10153065531518761_6831630770008147888_n.jpg

10583792_10153065531348761_8177684179903173109_n.jpg

10342432_10153065531828761_1990475499861611149_n.jpg

Angel be a lovely chap and help me identify the age of the car please?

Hello
I bought an identical car last week,chrome bumpers,black grill,with black interier,845 cc engine,R1126 1977,i think the plate has been changed.

Did you looked on drivers side longitudinal where meets crossmember below seats?

Look at picture! That red ellipse is shoving place where should be engraved chassis number
240420141033.jpg

There must of been sufficient ID on car to satisfy dvla that the valuable plate was allowed to be removed
somebody could however have had a terminal 63 car and a tatty later one and been naughty

On Spanish built cars the number is on top of the crossmember under the front of the RHS seat.

Funny car that one with external door hinges but plastic vent under the windscreen. Is it a really early GTL around 1980? Or the TL equivalent.

Not sure but it's got some nice touches on it like opening windows in the c/d post and everything feels very straight compared to my much abused blue one.

Chassis looks pretty good, brakes all work, clutch is seized but that's normally pretty simple to sort out. It has all its chrome wheel trims and seems pretty complete.

I'm thinking of actually getting this one up and looking nice, (there again if it annoys Malcolm I may get it MOT'd and on the road like this) :p

Needs some wings if anyone's got any kicking around please.

what gearbox has it got should be 3 speed would a flat front cross member if it was genuinely 1963 tailgate hinges are wrong pretty sure for that age

come on take some photos under the bonnet properly and the dashboard tthat will tell us all moore including what type of for speed box as the old ones had reverse where first would normally be and fourth off to the right and forward

It's an 845 engine by the looks of it, with reverse next to 4th, will take more pictures when I'm up my workshop next.

ON all R4 that i have seen there is VIN number engraved.
But again, all R4 that i have seen are made in Yugoslavia/Slovenia.
I tought that it is normal procedure on all R4

Back