Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What brakes manufacturer

Bertl

Goißatreiber
Hi everybody ... as progress on the chassis and shell restauration is slow, I decided to do something useful and get some parts ready for later ...
so I took off one front and one rear brake drum of my '78 GTL (hoping that the other side is matching) ;)
It would be great to know what brakes I have on my R4, the Lucas/Girling or the Bendix type.

• IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 171
front and rear are both bendix
BUT because they do auto adjust and manual adjust (and different diameters) and front and rear handbrake versions of bendix R4 be warned you will probably have several options listed depending on which parts book you look in
computerised catologues ignore most R4 parts but they are still available provided you have a valid part number to hopefully cross reference
so dont buy off ebay and take a gamble unless very cheap or definitly correct

Thanks for the reply ...

I have the front handbrake, diameters can be measured ... where do I have to look for auto/manual adjust?

Robert

your rears are def auto adjust think front may be manual adjust there will be a 10mm square behind backplate
some parts may be listed for R5 mk1 (pre 85) and R4 van and R6 so plenty of choice !!!
a good parts book will have pictures so that should help but with so many suppliers of brake shoes over the years cross reference may be a problem

hi my renault4 has got front drum brakes with hand brakes, It would suit me to have front disc brakes instead and rear drums with hand brakes. i wonder how i could do it ,what it will cost me help please .

Sorry to bump this thread ...
When I had the drums off I forgot to measure the drum brake diameter ... will a regular '78 GTL have the 160mm or the 180mm drums (the car has front and rear drum brakes).

Thanks
Robert

hi Robert! most likely it will have the 180mm as far as I know only the F4 had the smaller 160mm rear-drums -R.

Back