Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What happened on 27-05-08 at 03:30 AM?

I always thought it was illegal to sell a car without less than 18 months left on the CT?

Plus its an immediate 130 euro fine if caught driving without one.

But from what I've seen of french CT's they are more thorough than our MOT but tend to give you a list of what needs doing before the next ct, rather than outright failing the car.
Pepper, you're right. Even if the car doesn't run it has to have the CT for the paperwork. But I've just seen this -

Exemptions: A collectable car, véhicule de collection is a car older than 25 years. A collectable car may be exempt from a contrôle technique if a specific application is made and it is declared on the Carte Grise

I wonder if that is the case with this one.

Its the telephone conversations that totally baffle me!

I can cope fine with normal conversation but when I can't see expressions, hand gestures and lip read it becomes very difficult!

Macolm I've got a trailer you could borrow and you;re not far away from me here in the UK.

I can read French a little, but I find understanding what people say difficult. That's the trouble with school French - I don't need to be able to read the language.

Thanks for the offer of the trailer. I don't have a tow car. If I do this I'll do it the dangerous way!

No need for the trailer Malcolm. I've just had a long conversation with the extremely pleasant seller who tells me that the car is exempt from the CT and is fine to drive. I told him about your restorations and he seems to think you might be a suitable buyer! :hug:

Excellent, thanks for phoning for me. I don't like this mention of the word restoration though - it looks perfect to me. Though if it doesn't need a CT that shouldn't matter.

I can see it now in the stables of my chateaux, though the stables would need a bit of a clear out to fit it in. Would save restoring my almost identical '65.

Oh and if you'd needed a tow car I scrapped a 2.0lt Renault Laguna yesterday with tow bar, all it needed for an MOT was a replacement cat.

We only got £45 for it too, as the scraps gone down from £140 a ton to £35 a ton!

Damm shame it was, it had been a fantastic car. I'd been given it with broken cam belt tensioner which had lunched four valves, so I did the head got it all sorted and we've driven it for 3 years with no trouble at all.

I then sold it to a neighbour and the cat started leaking so he cut it off without telling me and replaced it with a piece of pipe, (in the glove box was the warranty for the cat which I'd replaced when I bought it!). Silly sod!

Started a long thread here I have,
How's about you guys slipping over to Renualt 4 discussion and Clementines Cafe,
I've posted a thing about petrol in one and spell check in another.
Cheers.

Excellent, thanks for phoning for me. I don't like this mention of the word restoration though - it looks perfect to me. Though if it doesn't need a CT that shouldn't matter.

I can see it now in the stables of my chateaux, though the stables would need a bit of a clear out to fit it in. Would save restoring my almost identical '65.
Chateaux? To have more than one would be excessive.
The word restoration didn't come up in the context of the eBay car - we were just talking about your hobby!
I thought you'd almost finished your restoration project.

Malcolm, I've had an email from Provence:

" merci pour votre adresse ce que fait votre fils ces remarquable on voit qu il fait ca avec passion. ces très beau de voir des personnes qui vont au bout de leur passion moi aussi je suis passionnè par le bois le les meubles je suis ebeniste je comprend bien votre fils votre francais et sans aucune faute d ortographe exelent si vous avez d autre quetion vous pouvais me joindre mon telephone sans aucun probleme pour plus de question thank you good bay "

He is saying he understands having a passion about something as he is a cabinet maker and he loves all things wood.

The project has stalled at the moment for no especially good reason. Last 3 weeks or so I've been doing other things. It's in the paintshop next week for a final coat of paint to sort out the silicone contamination problems, and if I'm really organised I'll have wheels on the chassis in time for it's return.

My cunning thought was if I bought a nice working '65 car then I wouldn't have to rebuild the terminally '65 in the barn which would save a lot of time.

No - it's the 1967 (ish) car, built to roughly 1968 spec with a dab of 1972 and mechanicals with shades of 1984.

I'm remarquable? :D - I like the guy already.

OK. I have booked my flight. At the very least (assuming all goes well) my French will improve a little as the first stop is a week doing a French language course in a very nice Chaueau here.

Next stop will hopefully be to collect Ian's Christmas present to me (thanks Ian :D) but if the worst comes to the worst and Ian runs out of money I can still pop onto a train and see Bluebell (and also hopefully Claude van Rouge who I now understand lives close by).

..Well good news, I am back and luckily havent dissolved..

..But what a day we had yesterday on our Coast to Coast walk - We were doing the Haweswater to Shap section - It was blowing a gale and the rain was incessant the whole day and was coming in horizontal most of the time!!

We scooted around the lake for 11 miles and couldnt even find a teeny weeny bit of shelter to have our packed lunch - We also saw no one and certainly no Renault 4's all day.

And here we are..(I am the good looking chap taking the picture)

• CIMG0030 email.jpg
    CIMG0030 email.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 30
OK. I have booked my flight. At the very least (assuming all goes well) my French will improve a little as the first stop is a week doing a French language course in a very nice Chaueau here.
Malcolm, why don't you give them web design lessons in exchange for the French course?

BTW Nice picture Ian!

A fantastic way to learn French is to live with a French family for a while.
You can't help but pick things up and if they know you're trying they will always help.
I did this this in the early eighties while involved with cycle racing over there. By the end of my stay I could get by. Nor did I want to come home. Needless to say, twenty five years on and I can't remember much at all.

I'd be terrified at the idea of staying with a French family. I was a lodger once in the UK and that was scary enough even when I half understood the language (it was up north). Though it was sweet that the terrifying deaf woman always had cold stodgy food ready for me at 5:30.

Looks like an adventure up there Ian. Not too many blisters I hope.

Back