Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What I am doing!

After you start engine than you will need to bleed cooling system once more.

Have you connected the wire to the oil pressure switch? It's behind the oil filter and hidden from view. It may be the green one with a connector at the tip of your finger in the last photo

Yup biscuit survived!

Not for too long, I hope :¬)

Neither of my cars has the long inlet pipe leading from the air cleaner. I often wonder if they're really necessary?

Good question - the hose is supposed to be there to allow you to change the air intake to accept warmer air in winter (from around the exhaust pipe) and cooler air in the summer (from near the inner wing). I always change over from winter to summer setting and vice versa; it seems to make a difference: www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/when-to-change-air-intake-hose-to-summer.1187

Very interesting to read a thread from 2007, thank you. when we were all 9 years younger!:)

My air filter has the adjustment screw in the centre, so I get half "heated air" from the exhaust and half "cooler air" from the inlet on the air filter cover. It's always been like that, but I must admit that the engine seems to run smoother in colder weather.

Perhaps its time to experiment and change it completely to summer setting. It was 35 degrees today!

The fikter is supposed to suck hot air from the exhaust when external temp is around 5 celsius degree. In my country it happens for a week per year. So I can even forget to change the position.

The big BIG day arrived on Saturday. Turn the key only to discover the starter motor just spun without engaging. Couldn't work it out initially sent an emergency message to Paul (Mr Reno) but he didn't see it . Having got the starter motor off again I could see that I'd miss wired the solenoid and connected to the threaded bolt not the little tab at the bottom. I've got all the fluids in and 5 L of petrol in the tank. I disconnected the fuel pipe to the carb and let it turn over a few times until I could see the petrol coming out of the pipe. Reconnected to the carb and away it went!!! Runs very smooth and not adjusted anything yet just followed Mojobabys setting on the dizzy. Suddenly WOMBLE IS ALIVE !!! And everything has changed. :clapping:Now it's not just an expensive lump of tin it's a little car that actually goes !! I'll get my son to help me and post some video on here. ( for I T I consult a teenager!) it's been a lazy Sunday ....too much celebration! :drunk:

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 7
Just love that little devils sticker ...Been saving that one until the engine was running....a great day!

Onto wiring . I salvaged everything I could from that old body shell. The wiring loom was in poor shape especially at the back end. cutting up the wiring loom from the old body shell I was able to splice in exactly the right colour and thickness

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1
Delightful little interior light fitting . I just love the fact you have to turn it on manually and it doesn't operate when you open the door. Discovered the spares I have dont Match the original. The original is broken so I have to clean up one of the older ones and use that.

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1
Congratulations! What a journey! Each wire I disconnect and each part I remove makes me wonder whether mine will ever run again! I'm sure I'll be rereading your posts time and again.

Congratulations! What a journey! Each wire I disconnect and each part I remove makes me wonder whether mine will ever run again! I'm sure I'll be rereading your posts time and again.
Hi Bobjacqs yes I thought of you when it came to labels. Two things happened . The masking tape labels dried up and fell off and I also got lazy thinking I'd know how it all goes...so my advice would be to buy some little tie on lables and take masses of photos .

JonathanT.....Today i will open bottle for your success.... will toast in your name and drink glass :drunk: with big pleasure.....(after work...... it is still little bit early:D)

End day of your project is coming and engine start is one BIIIIIGGG step.

Congratulation

Wow thanks Petak! Yes the remainder is going to progress quickly with this extra excitement!

Cheers!

Jonathan, Excellent and well done! That must be such a relief to finally 'get to the end of the road' with the car. BTW isn't your inlet to the air filter in the Winter setting? The end of mine ends against the exhaust clamp although I wonder if that is correct. I would have thought that cool air would be better during our Summer months. My rocker box has a yellow sticker reminding the owner or mechanic that an oil filter with an M10 thread is required for my 1100cc engine. I wonder if those stickers are available?

Hi Azzazello! :hug: Yes I think there is a 5 devil version... but I like the 4 (one for each cylinder) Looking out for posts from you
Paul N Yes air intake is on the winter setting. Only because the tube ring support for the summer setting is in a state and I havn't restored that bit and put it on... Im being lazy! As I intend to use Womble all summer for 6 months as my main car maybe I should get on with that:(

Sounds like everything coming together very nicely.I think going to need some advice on my new addition couple of cables not quite right and don't know how missed them stood out like sore thumb after getting home

Sounds like everything coming together very nicely.I think going to need some advice on my new addition couple of cables not quite right and don't know how missed them stood out like sore thumb after getting home

Pop over - only not this week as I'm down at Lattitude near Southwold. Looking forward to seeing your new wheels!

Will do be good to see all your hard work coming to fruition....enjoy Latitude

Back