Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

where did my thread go?

It was in the Other Renault's section. I've moved it to the R5 & 6 section for you.

Hello Malcolm, I moved the thread into the 'Other Renault' section as the car in question was a transverse engined R5 Mark 2 1988 and not (yet) a classic 5 or a 6.
Steve

I reckon the Super 5 is a classic - thinking about getting one myself while there are still some left. Speaking of which anyone live in Penrith fancy having a quick look at one?

Okay Malcolm - I will regard them as a 'classic' from now on. You remember I've owned a couple of them and they served me well. One model that I would have liked was the 1700cc Volvo engined car with the leather seats and all the extras!!

27 Monaco 1.7s with MOT and 18 with sorn left - there's one in Penrith on eBay just now. :D Bronze in colour :eek: No MOT and the owner isn't very chatty so tricky to judge condition.

That's a coincidence - that the car you are watching is a Monaco. Knew we had something in common :hug:

I have seen some really mint ones on ebay in the past and they all went for good money. I think the only achilles heel on these was related to the carb - that is apart from the usual rust traps. Hope you manage to find one :).

I do not like super5 very much (neither 5, as well) but I am attached to it becouse it was my first car (well, my mother's car) and I learned to drive with it...

I loved the Super 5, I remember renting 1.4lt cars from our local hire company, and thrashing the pants off them round our farm ;)

I picked up a silver 96 3dr 1.4 for buttons last year. It had just one lady owner with only 13k miles, so nothing was worn and it still felt like new. I drove it all summer until its test expired and it has nearly 16k on it now. I love it, but friends and family couldn't take to it at all :-( It was mainly the constant rattles from every part of the interior that really put people off. My mum's 99 Clio does not rattle at all. The racket is far worse than the squeaky tailgate of every 4 I've owned and it's the only thing I dislike about the car. I'm keeping the car garaged now as some day it may be special
. Has anybody successfully cured Superfives of this commotion?

The only rattles (other than the ever present pinking!!) that mine seems to suffer from is a noise I can't identify from somewhere inside the doors - think it might be the locking rods. Keep meaning to take the door cards off and give em a tweak..

Back seat latches used to squeak, soon cured with a little blob of copaslip..

Roof gutters used to rattle at speed until they got a blob of Sikaflex adhesive sealant...

Other than that it's quieter than my old BMC 1100, with far less wind noise, and a LOT quieter than my girlfriends Vauxhall Viva HA!

Thanks for the tips! In my car the dashboard sounds like it's being thrown down a staircase. Maybe it's the appalling Irish roads shaking the guts out of it.

There are several rattle causes on the dash - if theres no cig lighter next to the ash tray, the wiring is still in place - and can rattle about, same applies to the dash itself. Pull out each of the switch blanks in turn from the lidded cubby hole and check behind them. Theres lots of spare wiring and connectors behind some of them, and the blanks have a tendency to squeak as the dash moves. This can be cured with a little smear of silicon type lube. ALso check the mountings for the radio console as this can come loose and make one hell of a racket! Ten minutes with some grease/lube and a torx screwdriver to tighten up fittings can make one hell of a difference to noise levels!

Back