Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Which One

Lightmart

Renault 4 Owner Wannabee
Hi All,

After my post on the introductions forum, I thought that I would wade straight in and ask a question to start me off.

Being brand new to Renault 4 world and an owner wannabee, i am a little confused about what version to seek.

In my ideal world the following criteria would be met:

Renault 4 estate or 4 door or whatever the proper name is:confused:
Right Hand Drive...UK version
Pre Dec 72 reg (:?:) to allow for vehicle excise duty free running

Can anyone please point me in the right direction of a model or type that I should look out for ?

Any owners in Bucks area ?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Last edited:
Choice is a relative term

Hi Martin,
Congratulations on finding the forum and wanting an R4. At the risk of dampening your enthusiasm before its got going these cars are getting properly rare these days, hence I'd advise you to be pretty flexible in your search.

Of the right hand drive cars available (which I'd estimate to be in the low hundreds across the whole UK) theres a predominance of late model 1982 - 86 year GTL's, which while not tax exempt are easier to find parts for and have the added benefit of disc brakes up front and the 1108cc engine. The other benefits in my view outweigh the £120 a year or so spent on road fund licence.

The cars can also rot quite badly in fiddly areas to repair properly. Dependant on how long you want to spend looking I'd advise that you go and look at any car that turns up for sale within reasonable distance, and consider anything with no major corrosion as a potential go'er...

I might get shot for pointing this out here, but if you want cheap, simple, and rustic etc then Citroen 2cv's offer similar virtues, potentially more choice of candidate cars, but are slower (though equally fun to drive) and can rust just as prolifically as R4's! :)

I know what you mean about finding an Hysterical Road Fund Licence car, but they do seem a lot rarer here, if I were going to run a pre 72 I'd personally look for a LH drive rust free example from a sunny part of France...

I don't live too far away, I'm in Banbury

Thanks snailshed,

Good points well made there...

I wasn't aware of quite how rare the vehicles are:shock:. I know of a LHD spanish car for sale, but it won't be a tax exempt year on re-registration.

I take your point on a 2CV, but I wouldn't have one given, I'm afraid...unless its a van type:cool::cool:. I just like the classy look of the R4:cool:.

I will search about and see what comes up, as you suggest...but it might be that the R4 isn't for me after all:(

Vehicles that fall into the normal vehicle tax eligible catagory are ten a penny, french or otherwise....so I wouldn't be stuck for choice there.

But i suppose my land Rover is a typical case in point....although the model I have began life in 1973 (?) and mine is a 1981 version (but exactly the same) I am loathed to have to pay excise duty on a hobby car that, for a registration date, is the same as a tax free version.

Pepper....

Good point about trying to pick up a car in France.....are there any websites etc that may be good for that do you know, or do you guys know of any sellers of such vehicles ?

Thanks to both for speedy replies

regards

Martin

Last edited:
Have a look on leboncoin.fr for cars in France - there are plenty on there to choose from.

Theres a fair amount of difference between the earlier and later cars. The later GTL types are easier to live with and as snailshed says, personally the ease of use / parts availability easily outweighs the £120 VED for me at least.

Depends on your preference and what you plan on using it for really.

Just had a quick look on Ebay.fr.

Quite a few listed there, so just some travelling with the trailer required, i suppose.

Obviously, this eliminates my RHD requirement, but this isn't a problem for me....only for Mrs Lightmart:rolleyes:

Regards

martin

not many pick ups about i guess, and good luck with your search Lightmart, althou Pre 72 cars can be a headache (got use of a 72 saab 96 with a broken engine >.<)

The strength of the forum advice would appear to win the day.

I will keep my eyes open for anything R4 and go from there.

Thanks all

Martin

Back