Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Window catches failing

Minty

Enthusiast
How do you get the catches to stay on the windows? Glue keeps failing, very frustrating! Any suggestions greatly received. MintySAM_0017.JPG

1. Try rearview mirror glue from Halfords etc, the type that has a little phial of hydroflouric acid to etch the areas you are going to glue before you actually glue it.

2. If that doesn't work use the 5 minute araldite- the optically clear one is best (I think) so you won't notice any glue so much once it has dried.

3. If that is no good just go for the 24 hr araldite. It's a lot stronger than the 5 min variety.

In all cases cleaning with solvent and not touching anything afterwards, and clamping in position while drying, are all essential.

I am about to try Devcon 2 ton Epoxy (2500psi strength )clear. A bit over the top but hey ho.

Thank you for that, I will give it a go. Due to visit the UK soon, so will hot foot it to Halfords.

Try a windscreen repair centre (e.g. National Windscreens in UK). They use an incredibly powerful two-pack glue for refixing rearview mirrors onto the windscreen. They did my mirror while you wait at modest cost. I would imagine they'd be willing to do window catches as well.

I glued two window catches on today - so that's three out of the four windows that have catches. I used the Devcon which is a powerful 2-part epoxy adhesive and we'll see just how powerful when I've given it 24hr to fully set. I cleaned up the steel disc on the back of the lock removing any traces of old adhesive then cleaned both surfaces (glass & steel) with alcohol. The catch needs to be extended otherwise the steel pad won't sit flush onto the glass, and I did this by winding a piece of thick wire around it. I could have dismantled the lock and then glued the steel onto the glass but positioning the steel disc would have been guesswork. The glued locks moved around so I has to stick them in place with masking tape.

The interior light fitting was also broken but I found the broken off piece in the box of oddments which came with the car. A day of gluing then.

Rear view mirror adhesive is the strongest, but needs religious attention to the instructions, and thorough cleaning of the old glue on the glass. The catch itself needs the same treatment, plus to be rubbed flat with 1500-grit wet and dry paper.
The next better solution would be to find four pre-77 siliding windows with holes and their accompanying catches...

After one failure, the Devcon worked a treat. Now to find one more catch and the windows will be secure. The failure was caused by the weight of the catch allowing slight movement and an air bubble to form reducing it's efficiency.

Back