Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

winter/rally/off road tyres - kleber?

Stuart Delahoy

Enthusiast
I would love to get some of the very chunky winter/off road tyres for my basic '63 car.

I have seen some by a company called Kleber on rally raid type cars, but the UK website is no help at all.

Any suggestions?

Search for Maxsport Alaska tyres. They do a range of knobbly pattern tyres at reasonable cost, and are used by quite a few rally competitors on tight budgets.

As an aside, I fitted Kleber 145x13 m&s tyres on my R5 when I was a student, in the late 1970's. Kleber were absorbed into Michelin in the early 1980's, and the brand disappeared.

I got myself a set of Fedima F/OR 145/80's.
More rallye style is not possible. :D
But they are extremely loud! :eek:

Restauration-189.jpg

Restauration-192.jpg

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3173&page=17

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the advise David, just one question...Are they very noisey when driving, Ok so its two questions, and did they fit without tubes on the original rims....Well lets make that three questions, are the early whheels the same size as your latter gtl type.
I know the latter ones are needed to clear the disc brake set up, but are the rims the same?
Thanks
Stuart

Stuart,

the tyres are very noisy when driving on asphalt roads.
It's a constant whine, noticeable throughout the whole car that builts up and increases with the speed.
(Vans especially tending to be noisy anyway, mine is even worse now.) :rolleyes:

The mud tyres fit w/o inner tube on original GTL/F6 - 4.5 x 13 wheels.
My rims are 4.5 Inch wide, but I think the tyres will fit 4 Inch rims w/o any problem.

The later style rims will fit the early cars w/o problems whereas the early style rims won't fit the later cars (with disc brakes).
There are some bolt heads around the hub on the disc brake cars that are in the way and will damage the (older style) rim.

Cheers,

David

The 145 tyres would be a bit big for a 750cc 3 speeder Stuart - you'd never get it into second gear! Had a set of cheap M&S tyres on Ermintrude for a while and they felt very heavy.

Back