Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

wireing help needed for speedo head please

Cyprus Andy

Enthusiast
Having removed the speedometer head and lost all track of what go's where can anyone help ?
its a 1977 TL and a Jager head.

I have managed to find the hazzard warning bulb wire ( a single black wire ) ...the inicator warning bulb again a single black wire and the main beam warning light a single blue wire.

I am left with a single orange wire ?
a red and a black wire going into a single female spade connector ?
two single black wires going into a single female spade connector ?
two black wires "piggy backed" to a female spade connector ?
white single wire with a thin brown tracer ?

Also
a single pink and single yellow into a single female connector
and a single pink and single white into a single female connector
I think these two go onto the voltage stabiliser on the back of the volt meter

as yet I cant figure out the oil warning light and fuel gauge wires but the wire on the left of the fuel gauge looking from the back is a positive connetion but which one ?>

• SPEEDOMETER (1) copy.jpg
    SPEEDOMETER (1) copy.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 6
ok managed to figure out the warning lights EXCEPT the oil warning light ! what colour wire is that one ?
then its just the volt meter to sort out o_O

oh dear when i first found that speedo all the wiring was on the back still as the loom had been cut
i un plugged it all before i sent it as i guessed that you would take a photo to make sure you knew where the wires went

oh dear when i first found that speedo all the wiring was on the back still as the loom had been cut
i un plugged it all before i sent it as i guessed that you would take a photo to make sure you knew where the wires went
Yeah I will never learn :confused: got quite a few things figured out but even more wires left with no place to put them and still no idea which is the oil warning light wire o_O

Well I think I have the oil warning light wire, a double wire into one spade connector ( brown and black wires)
but still got some black wires left and a white wire that is only an earth when the ignition is turned on which is VERY strange ?:confused:
I am not keeping the water "high temp" light as I have a Temp gauge now so hopefully that's what some of these are for......also the brake switch on the dash which has never worked , and to be honest I am not sure what it is supposed to do is not used anymore.
There is a rats nest of wires extending everything at the moment to make it a bit easier to see what I am doing but still needing a wiper switch if anyone can help out.........paypal is waiting for an offer from one of you guys !

• rats nest.JPG
    rats nest.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi Andy, I'm not the greatest at reading electric diagrams, but this is the info I got from the Heynes manual for 1976-1979 models. Hope it helps!

Warning lights-Black
Coolant temperature and oil pressure warning light-Black and Maroon
Direction Indicator Warning Light-Black
Fuel Gauge-Orange
Instrument Panel Lighting-White
Headlamp Main Beam Warning Light-Blue
Hazard Warning Light Indicator-Black
Junction Plate on Instrument Panel-The Red one comes from your fusebox; a black one goes to your rear screen demister switch on the dash and a yellow one goes to the heater blower switch
I can't make out what the colour is for the battery charge indicator.

i have got a picture of the wiring loom i took off the speedoi only took it off to try and keep the weight down under 2 kilos unfortunately never took a photo of the other side when i first found it this is a matching nestt of wires
20140819_105251.jpg

Thanks Mojobaby, that all seems to be what I have at the moment except for a few extra black wires ?
I do not have a heated rear screen........would be nice though :cool:

I seem ?? to have everything lighting up correctly at the moment, but when I put the hazards on.. the indicator light also flashes :confused: and it didn't do that on the old speedo ?.....

Also when the hazards are flashing the fuel gauge "twitches" ? whats all that about ? Beginning to wish I had never started.... I hate wiring o_O

When I put the hazards on in my car, the indicator light display also flashes. I think that's normal.
On other cars, like the Beetle I had in Cape Town, the switch itself lights up.

the main thing is does the speedo actually work

HAHAHA thanks for the speedo and yes I hope so.......haven't figured out how to remove the old cable from the gearbox yet ! :rolleyes:
Its a bit manky down that end of the cable and can't see how it is attached ......
The old speedometer head was completely seized up and would not turn at all in the back so hope it has done no damage to the drive wheel in the gearbox :eek:

Back