Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wooden Renault 4 Kit Car on Ebay

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
There is a Renault 4 based kit car for sale up in Edinburgh. Starting bid is £25 and the auction ends on 21-Sep-04. No MOT as usual.

<edit> Sold for £27. </edit>
Find current Renault 4s on eBay
Converted Renault 4 wooden body car needs tlc last MOTed 2002. Four wheel drive option. Engine not starting. Been in garage. Relatively good nick rustwise. Four good wheels. Tax exempt. Towbar. Great fun for someone.

Now this is funny: I saw this car in 1992 when some guy offered it to my stepbrother. He didn't buy it. It was essentially a 4WD R4 chassis that someone had bolted a plywood body on to. I remember it was pretty crude and I don't think it had a hood.

Got to be worth bidding for the 4WD chassis and mechanicals (Are these off the R4 Rodeo or the Renault 6 4WD?).

r4-kitcar-ebay.jpg

Got to be worth bidding for the 4WD chassis and mechanicals (Are these off the R4 Rodeo or the Renault 6 4WD?).

[/quote]

You could get the normal car and van derivatives as 4WD abroad. I remember seeing a 4WD F4 van in France about six or seven years ago. I think (and emphasise that i only think I'm right here) but the Rodeo was only FWD.

I was pretty interested in this car, but the logistics of getting it back from Edinburgh cheaply, and the fact I don't really need it changed my mind.

I did a little research. Turns out a company called Sinpar was responsible for the 4WD conversion of all variants of Renault 4. There are still a few cars kicking around in France, but they are becoming rare due to poor availability of spare parts.

I'd love to know how the conversion was carried out. For those that are interested There is some text on the Simpar conversion in French (or English Translation). Haven't found any photos yet.

Renault contracted much of it's 4x4 work out to Sinpar who also did a 4x4 Trafic and R18 Estate among others. All models of R4 were converted from 1964 onwards up until quite late in production and it looks like a fairly basic (agricultural?) selectable 4wd system. The first 4x4 R4's were (i think) prototypes built for the french army and were essentially a cut down F4 van. Sinpar also created the Plein Air I think.... If you have the book - Album Renault 4 - by Robert Sejourne there are quite a few pictures, if you don't it's ISBN number 2-85120-482-3, your friendly local bookshop should be able to order it and it is a fantastic book!

Looking for "Album Renault 4"

Does anyone know where I can get the book "Album Renault 4" for sale? I've not had any luck with my local book shop, nor online.

Please let me know if you come across a copy for sale!

Thanks alot.

Got the book!

Finally managed to track down a copy of the book! It's superb :)

Back