Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wrong angle?

hal7600

Enthusiast
Have I got something drastically wrong? The angle of the rear suspension looks far to 'flat'? I promise I did not dismantle the rear torsion bars. The only work was new corner brackets.

• IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 326
You must have fitted the outer bushes at an incorrect position relative to the suspension arm. These have a great amount of tension, but it still seems curious to me how they can be able to overcome torsion bar tension, or how could you fit the arm in position...

Looks like it could be ok. given that its upside down!

(as when upside down gravity is helping keep it nearer a driving position with the weight of the drums)

I'm not sure. I don't think gravity alone would do this.

When I changed my rear dampers I had to use a jack to push the arm into that position.

Do you have any more pics? Esp. mounting bolt position?

• IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 252
I'm going to flip the chassis over tomorrow & will take some pics. I just don't understand if it is even possible to get it wrong. The swinging wheel arms are fixed in relation to the torsion bars, insofar as these were not taken apart, and these in turn are bolted to the chassis.

Put another way the only new (moving) parts were the corner brackets. They were simply slid into place to match the three bolt-holes. I struggle to see how it is possible (even for me) to get this wrong......

You haven't unbolted the plates that locate the assembly to the chassis rails, just changed the outer bush mounts?

If thats the case, then either the torsion bars are in the sockets wrong (and were before you started) or the plates are bolted on wrong (tricky) or the bars are goosed (very unlikely)

I will watch with interest. If you need some measurements, shout.

Definitely wrong angle.
See Paulbrook's picture for reference:

P8166670.jpg

Still wrong

Its been raining all day, so I've only just succeeded in turning over the chassis.

As per the image, the measurement from the middle of the bracket arm to the middle of the wheel bearing is about 2.5 inches.

If the sun shines tomorrow, I'll unbolt the brackets and see if the arms drop.

• IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 211
Back