Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Zenith 32IF carb - HELP!

Lobster

Enthusiast
Almost three years after it last happened, its happened again :(

The air mixture screw on my carb has made a successful bid for freedom. I've had a rummage through my box of scrap useful bits and pieces but to no avail. Van is running of a fashion with something bodged into place to fill the hole but it obviously won't get through the MOT next month like that.

So does anyone have either a complete carb they'd like to sell or just the screw itself or any thoughts on where I could get one?

Its a Zenith 32IF7.

Either drop me a pm, email via website below or O785O 656633.

Pictures -

Hi David, that's bad luck, and food for thought. Sorry I can't help you, but I'm just going out to the garage to plug mine up with bluetack, just in case. Regards Brian.

Hi Brian, Yep I'm not best chuffed really. Until I sort something then I'm a bit stuck. I've got an old (original) Solex that could go on or but its not ideal so I need to find the screw and then make sure it doesn't fall out again.

Surely someone out there can help you David. Maybe give Derek at Renospeed a call. :cool:

I can give you a loan of one if you are stuck David, it would be easy enough to post and I don't need it at the moment, it's just that I want to keep the engine complete in case I ever need it or want to sell it.
Cheers Stan.

Stan, Thats a very kind offer thank you! I will PM you shortly!

In the meantime, I've spoken to an ex Renault dealer who now deals with older cars and parts - he might have one but doesn't know so I will trundle over there next week with my spare carb and see what fits.

Fingers crossed!

Following a tip off I headed over to Coopers of Cleckheaton - they were a long established Renault dealer although now independent. Anyway, they didn't have one but do have a few R4 bits kicking about - new brake drums and a tailgate in yellow. Worth knowing if you need one (which I don't!)

Hey gang, someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to answer this for me -

MRP sell a kit for the carb in question, trouble is apart from the very end I have no idea what my mixture screw looks like!

This is the kit -
32IF-C.jpg

Is the mixture screw included though?

http://www.melun-retro-passion.com/4l/RE_04/carburettor-sealing-full-set-zenith-32-if-id-32IF-C.html

Sorry to say David, no mixture screw included in this kit, as its the same kit that I used to rebuild my carb. I've just had a thought though, maybe try Steve Hennessy, I bought some carb bits off him a while back. He may have some spares he can help you with. Worth a try. Regards Brian.

Hi lobster
pretty sure I gave malcom al my dead carbs a few years back maybe he has forgotten about them
i do have complete carb condition unknown with no use for it at the moment but I also have got a complete 1300 engine with 5 sp box sitting in my lock up with no carburettor on plan was 2 fire it up on the floor to make sure it still runs
i can post idle screw if you are stuck and lend it to you

Brian, Thats pretty much what I suspected unfortunately. I'll drop Steve a message when I have a moment.

mr-reno, cheers! If its the right one then that might be a good idea. I'm a bit tied up with a VW show this weekend so haven't really tim to do much about it but if all else fails I'll borrow that one.

Failing that, I'm going to France in three weeks so might have to somehow justify a scrapyard run to the family ;)

Forgot to mention mk 2 5 with zenith carb on same screw

Probably popping over to my barn tomorrow so will have a look for one. Same mechanic as last time been fiddling with it? A bit of loctite and fill in the screw slot maybe this time

Thanks Malcolm, that'd be great!

Actually no, its not been touched! I had been thinking that I'd have to check it in case they touched it at MOT this time but it fell out before they had chance! My own fault really, I'll be loctiteing the replacement thats for certain :)

Picked up a random selection of carbs that turned out to be 2 Zeniths and 1 Solex. The Solex is already missing it's screw! Should be up Saturday for another rummage.

Back