Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Zenith 32IF7 idle speed adjustment?

kylenorth18

Hi there,

We're having a problem with our r5 with the zenith 32, which I understand a lot of you have fitted to your r4's as a power upgrade!

We can't seem to find how to adjust the idle on our carb.. it's very high on ours and we're off to France in a couple of days so ideally it needs to go down.
We've found the mixture screw but this seems to make no difference to idle and we can't find an idle speed screw?
I'm guessing the fast idle speed screw isn't one for adjusting..?
The Haynes manual is pretty useless..has a couple of diagrams of this carb but no descriptions of how to adjust it :(
The timing is set up right as is the dwell angle.
Would greatly appreciate any help with this (despite not being a r4 :p) :) thank you!

Idle speed is controlled by the throttle return stop screw. I don't have a picture handy, but the throttle cable operates a bell crank fastened to the rocker cover. There is a bar that connects that to the carb that operates a funny shaped cam. There is a screw that limits how far that cam can return after the throttle is pressed. That's your baby - twiddle that down a little.

Ah okay! Thank you.

I did wonder if it was something like that. I was always told not to touch that on my beetle so thought it best not to just adjust it and mess it up..

I'll get that done tomorrow.

Thanks again :)

Back