Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gear Shift Bush Kit

Piet

Enthusiast
HI all,
I've just bought a gear shift bush kit as shown below. It's for the joint between the lever into the box and the lever that comes forward over the engine. I know what the upper two bushes are- LH outer rubber and RH inner nylon (although this one is black, not white as usual).
But what are the two small ones for? I've never seen them before! Are these a later mod, and where do they go????? Can anyone help me with words or pictures?
Thanks
$_35.JPG

I did not get 2 small ones.
Maybe they fit inside tube in firewall between engine and passenger compartment

Here are mine gear lever bushing

IMG_20141111_230643.jpg

IMG_20141111_230710.jpg

IMG_20141111_232518.jpg

IMG_20141111_232546.jpg

IMG_20141111_230721.jpg

IMG_20141111_231159.jpg

IMG_20141111_231213.jpg

• IMG_20141111_232530.jpg
    IMG_20141111_232530.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Petak, your stuff is looking very shiny! (as usual!).
The little bushes are too small to fit in the firewall. The only thing I could possibly think of is that one of them can go on the lever coming out of the gearbox to try and reduce the free play between the gearbox box lever (they just fit on that) and the cone shaped big nylon bush when the gear is in nuetral. But I have never seen these in the parts catalogue or manuals etc. It is onlky recently it appears in the overhaul kits. Melun, Franzoze, the Portuguese guys all sell them like this now.

Was it a very late development at the end of production? Does anyone know? Anyone?

The Mk1 Renault 5 has the same gear change bush on the side of the gearbox
and on the bottom of the floor change gear leaver it has the smaller bushes.
It might be a kit for the type of gearbox not the car. The small bushes fit the
Renault 12 gear leaver as well.

Thanks Petak, your stuff is looking very shiny! (as usual!).
The little bushes are too small to fit in the firewall. The only thing I could possibly think of is that one of them can go on the lever coming out of the gearbox to try and reduce the free play between the gearbox box lever (they just fit on that) and the cone shaped big nylon bush when the gear is in nuetral. But I have never seen these in the parts catalogue or manuals etc. It is onlky recently it appears in the overhaul kits. Melun, Franzoze, the Portuguese guys all sell them like this now.

Was it a very late development at the end of production? Does anyone know? Anyone?
I got some as well when I replaced my bushes...........the two little ones are in the spares box untill I can find a use for them ?

I have a 1983 850cc and a 1980 GTL. I couldn't find those parts anywhere on the gear shift lever or the gear box lever on either car. What are they made of? Metal or plastic?
If they're the correct diameter, they might be a substitute for the nylon bush that is fitted underneath the rubber bushing that fits in the bulkhead. I pulled mine out for a photo. Sorry- a bit blurry!
DSCF6540.JPG

The Mk1 Renault 5 has the same gear change bush on the side of the gearbox
and on the bottom of the floor change gear leaver it has the smaller bushes.
It might be a kit for the type of gearbox not the car. The small bushes fit the
Renault 12 gear leaver as well.

I think you're correct Simon. The Franzose website says the kit is for R4 , R5, and R6.

Thanks everyone. That makes sense. BTW Has anyone been able to buy the firewall inner nylon one recently? Apparantly the p/n is 7705002032, but last time I tried, no luck. It seems stuff can diappear off dialogys, or rather Renault dispose of the parts from their central system, so for example in Australia they will find nil stock in france, yet if you are at a friendly Renault dealer in the back lots in France he will also get "nil stock" but then make a call to his local distributor and they will get it via their special "dark network". Got some brake cables this way when last over there.

Sorry Mojo, meant to say the little ones are plastic and they are too small for the firewall.

11417-d4cd5ee803fa0212e5def48198bbea22.jpg

Morning Chaps,

I'm having real trouble putting this all together. On the face of it it looks so simple.

I have removed the gear stick. put on the black rubber bit first then tried to push the white plastic bit into the rubber bit and it just wont go in.

I've used mole grips to push it through and all i am succeeding in doing is pushing the black rubber bit out of the metal surround.

Should I put it together first then try and get the black rubber bit into the the metal surround or get the balc rubber bit into the metal surround then try and push the white plastic bit into the black rubber bit when its already on the gear bracket.?

Should be easier than this.any help appreciated

Hi

Try fitting the rubber onto the nylon bush first, then offer it up to the gear linkage, lifting the rubber lip onto the circular part of the linkage. I use a very fine flat headed screwdriver to lift the lip over the metal. However, you need to try to avoid perforating the rubber at the same time.

I hope this helps.

@Sprackers I understand lubing the rubber with washing up liquid can also make it easier to fit (someone else's tip from here)

Best wishes, Simon.

Sorry for late answer.

You can try cook it in hot water for few mintes.
That way rubber get even softer and it is easier to put it over metal edge of gearshift.
Even then you will need something to push rubber over edge.
Something flat but not sharp, and be easy not to brake through rubber.

I find it easier to fit the rubber grommet on the lever first, then press the plastic bush in, having lubricated it with liquid soap or brake hydraulic parts assembly paste. The bush will not go straight in, there is a lip on the inner diameter of the grommet that also needs easing over the plastic bush, but it's easier than trying to lever the rubber bush over the sharp gearchange lever hole edges.

I had to replace one of them yesterday, so I did a little photo guide:

First, insert the grommet without the bush

DSCN2030.JPG

Having smeared the inside of the grommet with Vaseline, brake assembly paste or liquid soap, place the plastic bush at an angle:
DSCN2032.JPG

Pass a screwdriver from the opposite end of the grommet, between the grommet and the bush, holding the bush with your other hand (I couldn't do so - I had to hold the camera!). It's easier if it's thin but as you can see I did the job equally easily with an ordinary flat bladed screwdriver.
DSCN2033.JPG

By levering with the screwdriver while guiding the bush with your other hand you will see it fitting itself in the grommet in no time! However, you will realize that the bush ridge has not fully seated in the grommet inner groove.
DSCN2034.JPG

You have to lift the inner lip of the grommet with a thin screwdriver to seat it correctly. It's at this point that having lubricated the grommet comes handy, otherwise there is risk of tearing the inner lip.
DSCN2035.JPG

The final stage is to turn the plastic bush half a turn back and forth, to make sure it has seated correctly:
DSCN2036.JPG

And voila! Is there an upside and downside of the grommet? I always fit it that way, but I can't think a reason why it cannot be fitted the other way round, as Sprackers did.
DSCN2038.JPG

The whole process takes less than five minutes.

Update on my words "the whole process takes less than five minutes"...
It seems that reproduction shift lever bush quality has gone even lower. I recently bought three kits from a Portuguese seller on ebay, and had to fit one on a customer's R4 yesterday. After an hour of swearing and cursing and trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I managed to break the plastic bush, simply because the rubber grommet in the kit was harder!
The second plastic bush I tried to push in broke after two attempts, too.
So I fabricated a plastic bush out of Acetal, re-dimensioning it so that it would be both beefier and not so sloppy over the gearbox shift lever. Still, I was finally able to fit it in the grommet only after I cut the bellows end of the grommet in order to have better access to the bush.

Hi guys, after struggling to fit a new grommet and bush, and it only lasting a year before the rubber grommet started splitting, I did this little mod.
Spherical bearing held with two aluminium plates, and using the old grommet, modified to centralise the bearing.

20201031_155831.jpg

Back