Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 wanted in the West Midlands

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
I'm new to this forum but since about 1980 I've admired the Renault 4 but never quite got around to taking the plunge. Does anyone out there have a nice, roadworthy R4 for sale? A few battle scars is fine but I'd like a car that can be used with no major work - a little tinkering and so on is fine and actually wanted. I'm a self confessed car nut and need something else in my garage. Many thanks, Mark B.

good to see you took some time to ponder first there Mark :laughing: we're all here to see you take the plunge!
-Welcome to the forum/-Reid

Cheers, very nice welcome. I've always preferred the R4 to its nearest rival which I reckon is the (Citroen) 2CV but the latter seems a little predictable and almost tries too hard. Can't wait to get my paws on a Renault now!

We have an 88 Renault 4GTL LHD which we will be selling in the spring. 40k miles, white, we are redoing the bonnet after the previous owner bent it, and there will be a bit of re spraying. Its in perfect structural condition, perfect interior, low mileage. Taxed and tested. We are in Lichfield.
Regards Edwin

We have an 88 Renault 4GTL LHD which we will be selling in the spring. 40k miles, white, we are redoing the bonnet after the previous owner bent it, and there will be a bit of re spraying. Its in perfect structural condition, perfect interior, low mileage. Taxed and tested. We are in Lichfield.
Regards Edwin
Hi Edwin,

Many thanks for your message. I'm very, very interested and you're local too! Sounds a lovely example. Depending on the price (of course), please, please put me at the top of the list. Nice warm garage slot awaits!

Many thanks, Mark

Edwin, if you PM me, we can swap contact details too. Thanks, Mark

I'm new to this forum but since about 1980 I've admired the Renault 4 but never quite got around to taking the plunge. Does anyone out there have a nice, roadworthy R4 for sale? A few battle scars is fine but I'd like a car that can be used with no major work - a little tinkering and so on is fine and actually wanted. I'm a self confessed car nut and need something else in my garage. Many thanks, Mark B.
Yes we do! View attachment 22831
Hi Mark,

Yes we do. Unfortunately we have to let ours go as we live in London and due to Sadiqu plans for the ULEZ we can't keep it. Its been fully restored by The brilliant Renault Reborn only 3.5 years ago. Its a right hand drive and its frankly a dream.
Call me if you are interested and I can send loads more pics and info. I lived in Coseley as a kid - my folks are still that way so I can always come to you! 07717840676. Thanks KayeSide_On.JPG

Yes we do! View attachment 22831

Hi Mark,

Yes we do. Unfortunately we have to let ours go as we live in London and due to Sadiqu plans for the ULEZ we can't keep it. Its been fully restored by The brilliant Renault Reborn only 3.5 years ago. Its a right hand drive and its frankly a dream.
Call me if you are interested and I can send loads more pics and info. I lived in Coseley as a kid - my folks are still that way so I can always come to you! 07717840676. Thanks KayeView attachment 22832
Hi, Kaye21,
I found your comments interesting, for 2 reasons:
1/ I just LOVE your Renault 4 and should like to look at it sometime, and
2/ I also live in London and, unless I've misunderstood Mayor Khan's latest edict on reducing pollution, your car WON'T be affected by the proposed U.L.E.Z. I live in Barnet, on the edge of London and Hertfordshire and watch these matters carefully, as I own a 1972 Daf 33, which is exempt tax, MOTs and, having checked the website to which I was directed, is exempt the U.L.E.Z. charge. This is interesting.....

Spoke to my sister who still lives in London yesterday, pre 73 vehicles are and will remain exempt under current and new, 2019 ULEZ zone will apply to all vehicles within the current congestion charge areas ( central London ) ,extended to all areas within the north circular/south circular boundries in 2021, basically meaning that unless your car is post 2005 ish you will have to pay £12.50 a day ‘dirty air tax’ due to manufactures emmision levels if above these, its set by year of manufacture not test levels of individual vehicle.
Checked this because I’m contemplating returning to UK later this year and the where Im going to my van will fall foul of these new regs if Im still there 2021. Its also a 24 hr charge unlike the congestion charge, but will mean if I was to drive into more central areas the daily fee for van would be @£25 a day before finding and paying for parking!
Could possibly mean pre 73 classics will be worth a higher premium price to city dwellers in the non to distant future!

just downloaded this from a webs its re classic cars and the ULEZ :

HISTORIC CARS WIN EXEMPTION IN ULTRA LOW EMISSION ZONE

< All Blogs

Historic cars win exemption in Ultra Low Emission Zone
Historic cars have been handed an exemption from charges and restrictions in London’s newUltra Low Emission Zone – meaning the world’s oldest motoring event can continue.
All vehicles that have a ‘historic’ vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ, which comes into effect on 7 September 2020. The 24/7 zone will have the same borders as the current Congestion Charge Zone. This will enable classic events, including the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run, to go ahead as usual.
On the day the ULEZ comes into power, any car built before 1 January 1980 will be unaffected by the new rules, and tax-exempt vehicles will be excluded on a rolling annual basis. Non-compliant vehicles will be charged £12.50 per day, with a fine for HGVs, buses and coaches being set at £100. However, many classics will be kicked out of the zone. Petrol cars built before 1 January 2006 are likely to fall foul of the regulations, as will most diesels made before September 2015.
Any classic car built between 1 January 1980 and 1 January 2006, among them cars like the Austin Maestro,Rover Mini and Ford Capri MkIII, will have to pay the ULEZ charge, as well as a the Congestion Charge, totting up to £24 per visit.
Tamara Salhab, press officer for TfL, said: ‘We recognise the important role that historic vehicles play in preserving London’s culture and history and their relatively low impact on pollution due to their small numbers.
‘Following consultation it was agreed to that vehicles in the 40-year rolling vehicle tax exemption sector for classic vehicles will be exempt from the ULEZ standards and charges.’
Nigel Case, owner of London-based classic rental scheme The Classic Car Club pointed out that many of his customers usually steer clear of central London anyway, except for very special occasions.
He said: ‘Most people who rent cars from us tend to head out of town for a long weekend. At the same time, people who use classics tend to use them as a treat, so they wouldn’t mind paying an additional £12.50.’
Transport for London said there would be no barriers or tollbooths, and that cameras will read number plates to check against the DVLA’s vehicle database. The zone itself is being implemented in an attempt to improve London’s air quality, to meet EU regulations.
According to TfL, 4300 deaths in London per year can be attributed to air quality related illness. Failure to meet these standards may result in significant fines being imposed on the UK Government under EU law.
Occupants within the current ULEZ zone will be given three years’ free entry to allow them more time to meet the ULEZ standards. This ‘sunset’ period will expire after the 6 September 2023.
The statement setting out gterms and conditions can be read in its entirety on the Transport for London website.

Hope this clarifies things. Edwin

Last edited:
Who can trust family, must be old info I was quoted..., so its (atm) 40 year plus classics, rolling, that will be the city dwellers dream ‘cheap ‘ classics ;)

Hi, Kaye21,
I found your comments interesting, for 2 reasons:
1/ I just LOVE your Renault 4 and should like to look at it sometime, and
2/ I also live in London and, unless I've misunderstood Mayor Khan's latest edict on reducing pollution, your car WON'T be affected by the proposed U.L.E.Z. I live in Barnet, on the edge of London and Hertfordshire and watch these matters carefully, as I own a 1972 Daf 33, which is exempt tax, MOTs and, having checked the website to which I was directed, is exempt the U.L.E.Z. charge. This is interesting.....
Hi Andrew - Thanks for the email. Our R4 is 1986 so we will have 5 years of a daily charge of £12.50 to pay; whether we take it out for a drive or not. We just cannot afford that - its over £20k!!! It upsetting. Kaye

Just an addition the the ULEZ chaos. Its my understanding that as of October 2021 in his infinite wisdom; Sadiqu Kahn plans the boundary to be the north and south circular.. see 2 phase map here:
1550665166406.png

Its my understanding from the article above that you only pay when the cameras pick up your registration plate on the move, ie only when you use the vehicle. If its parked and not used you don't pay. Edwin

To be honest I don't know how they intend to police the whole thing. That's a lot of street to install cameras on!
I have written to the Mayor twice... I look forward to a reply. Kaye

Just theory, but wouldnt they just employ the same method as congestion charge but apply it to the N/S circular ( which probably already has cameras at all arterial intersections) ie ANPR recognition, then anyone inside the circle, unless un-taxed/registered already have their info.on databases to charge via vehicles registration address postcodes?
The Mayor is planning to make existing big brother an even bigger business...

They won't be able to check every road, but must know choke points where they can record enough registrations to make life miserable for drivers. Eventually, I suppose, rat runs will be established, and I expect police camera vans to be used on those

Boys and Girls,
From Renault 4 wanted in West Midlands, we appear to be way off-topic. Shall we all move across to Clementine's Café and bring the above "hot potato" with us,
N.

Back