Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

KYB Gas-a-just rear damper mounting problem.

barry

Enthusiast
Good day everyone. Looking for some advice please.
Have been trying to install KYB’s into the mount shown and failed so far....
Have compressed the damper and widened the gap between mounting points by a combination of pushing up the hub and also having someone sit on the back, but still can’t seem to get quite enough clearance to slot it in.
I’ve noticed on a number of related photos (including on La4deSylvie) the front mounting is different in that it’s one-sided, making fitting much easier.
Anyone had any success with this type of mounting? And if so how did you do it?
Or do I need to look at an alternative damper with this type of mounting? ( In which case a set of brand new KYB’s will reluctantly be for sale...)
Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received.
Thanks, Barry

IMG_0875.JPG

The trick is to have the damper fully compressed, and held there by some means. In the past, DeCarbon dampers were supplied with a hooked piece of stiff wire that held the damper compressed and helped enormously both in removing the old one, and in installing the new one. An alternative way is to have a helper tie the damper with wire, while you keep it compressed.
Even so, it's necessary to lift the suspension arm with a jack, and fit the rear end of the damper first, then the front. I have never found it impossible to fit a rear damper even on R4s with increased ride height, and it's by no means essential to change to non-pressurized rear dampers.

Thank you Angel. Perhaps didn’t manage to compress the damper to quite the maximum possible before wiring it, and we’ll have another go.

Just out of interest, are you familiar with the type of mounting I’ve shown? Knowing your knowledge is extensive I was hoping you may be able to give some idea of which R4s have it.

SOLVED!!
Thank you again Angel, for encouraging me to try harder.
Even with the damper compressed to absolute max, the hub jacked up as far as possible and one of my more rotund assistants sat right on the back, we were still about 5mm shy of slipping the front end into the U shaped rather awkward front mounting point...

Solution - get rotund assistant to bounce up and down a little, and on about the third bounce we were able to pop it in!!

Hope this may be helpful to anyone who finds they have this not-so-easy front mounting point to deal with.

This is a very common rear arm arrangement, fitted from the beginning until 1978, when it was replaced by a cast steel arm, still with a similar damper mounting. The latest cars (1983 onwards I guess) use the single-sided mounting (a lot easier, I admit), but then, even the latest Spanish and Slovenian built cars were equipped with early style pressed steel arms, again with double-sided mounting.
When I have this kind of damper fitting difficulty I lift the suspension arm as far as possible until the chassis lifts off the axle stand (or two-post lift arm), and lift further until there is about 10cm clearance between the chassis and axle stand. Then I grab the rear bumper with one hand and give it a good tug downwards while I guide the damper with the other hand. I don't always have the option of an assistant!

I’d have been lost without one!
Re relevant cars - I thought our ’91 GTL may have been Slovenian built - and now I’m sure. So many thanks for confirming that too.

I've just replaced my (MOT failure) Monroe rear shocks with some new KYB's, and I find them a lot softer than the Monroe's. Anyone else found this?
Fencing wire and lots of weight to compress the shock before tying up and fitting, all as others have said above.

Which do you prefer?
I think I prefer the Monroe's; the KYB's are a bit too 'nodding dog' with some weight in the back, they seem a bit overwhelmed. Probably easier on the chassis to have less firm shocks though.

OK thanks Adam. The ones I replaced with KYB were some obscure make and I’ve no idea if they were oil, gas or what - but seemed poor on the 200m of our very bumpy access track. There’s definite improvement now and given your softness rating I’m hoping they’ll be kind to our chassis when coming and going!

Back