Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

any tips on getting sump off w engine in car?

Melissa

Enthusiast
all bolts are out x14 ..plate off front end & bolts , thing will not budge, tried rubber mallet..nothing!

Wooden wedge in between the sump and the engine block, then try g-e-n-t-l-e tapping with a rubber mallet with which to start, doing opposite sides to begin & see how it goes.......

Try levering it with a large screwdriver, but only on the front corners, as close as possible to the gearbox. You are not damaging any sealing faces there.

You can use small flexible knife and hammer it in . Or there is special tool

• Screenshot_20190929-084506_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190929-084506_eBay.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
Try levering it with a large screwdriver, but only on the front corners, as close as possible to the gearbox. You are not damaging any sealing faces there.
did exactly that Angel cheers, thing plopped off onto my face at about midnight! Now for those pistons!

least of my worries after having transmission fluid pour onto my face, haynes did just say empty the sump! transmission fluid is the worst!!
Hmmm but transmission fluid tastes better it's a bit sweet :D

Bought some bits off a mec today & he advised if I renew pistons & liners that there needs to be a paper gasket inside the engine block, later models have copper ones. I can't find these anywhere (Der F Melun etc ) & I've never heard of them before (although 1st piston job so you prob all know) anyone know where I can buy them? thanks

Bought some bits off a mec today & he advised if I renew pistons & liners that there needs to be a paper gasket inside the engine block, later models have copper ones. I can't find these anywhere (Der F Melun etc ) & I've never heard of them before (although 1st piston job so you prob all know) anyone know where I can buy them? thanks
I got my head set and engine gasket set from "auto doc" everything was in the set

Like Domsky, I bought the whole gasket set and the paper seals were included. If I remember correctly. there were 12 in the set (3 different thicknesses x4 and colour coded), although its very difficult to differentiate. When you replace the cylinder sleeves they have to protrude above the engine block surface between 0,04mm and 0,12 mm, so the different paper thickness helps

Like Domsky, I bought the whole gasket set and the paper seals were included. If I remember correctly. there were 12 in the set (3 different thicknesses x4 and colour coded), although its very difficult to differentiate. When you replace the cylinder sleeves they have to protrude above the engine block surface between 0,04mm and 0,12 mm, so the different paper thickness helps
Cheers Dave, I bought a 2nd engine from a great guy who's a mechanic too 100euros! so it gives me some confidence to pull mine to bits! head's all ready waiting to be fitted..looks like number 1 piston liners were rotten away so there's my leak I think.Funny how pistons wouldn't come up through top, I read that's normally for Cleons..every day's a school day!

Back