Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electric Oil Pressure Gauge

When I said "unit" I was actually talking about the sender unit. I wasn't suggesting that you buy another gauge, just in case you misunderstood
The gauge will come with a sender unit as well. Ample ability to experiment then.

It seems that gauge itself is faulty, but try swapping (-) and sender unit terminals on the gauge to see what happens.

It seems that gauge itself is faulty, but try swapping (-) and sender unit terminals on the gauge to see what happens.
Thank you angel. Will try that and see what happens.

With "lockdown" in place and recent good weather tried again with the oil pressure gauge. Have new sender unit fitted and rechecked all the wiring but still same result. Soon as ignition goes on gauge goes to maximum.
Any new thoughts from anyone?

Right then..... Lockdown clinic "OPEN"! Unless these suggestions have already been tried, might I suggest the following:
1/ Remove the sender unit completely from the engine, but leave the electrical connections from it to the gauge in place. Now switch on the ignition & see if the needle still goes over to maximum. If it doesn't, the problem lies in an earthing problem within the gauge. If it STILL goes to maximum, try:
2/ Remove all wiring from there gauge, including any illumination light connections, and connect the live feed and the earth ONLY, but feed the live feed through an ammeter (if you have one) and report back with the requisite reading.
75th Anniversary of V.E. Day, in the words of Winston Churchill: "Action this day!" (.....and let's get the gauge working!)

With "lockdown" in place and recent good weather tried again with the oil pressure gauge. Have new sender unit fitted and rechecked all the wiring but still same result. Soon as ignition goes on gauge goes to maximum.
Any new thoughts from anyone?
Tom is this both new gauge and new sender unit or your previous gauge but with the new sender unit.

Right then..... Lockdown clinic "OPEN"! Unless these suggestions have already been tried, might I suggest the following:
1/ Remove the sender unit completely from the engine, but leave the electrical connections from it to the gauge in place. Now switch on the ignition & see if the needle still goes over to maximum. If it doesn't, the problem lies in an earthing problem within the gauge. If it STILL goes to maximum, try:
2/ Remove all wiring from there gauge, including any illumination light connections, and connect the live feed and the earth ONLY, but feed the live feed through an ammeter (if you have one) and report back with the requisite reading.
75th Anniversary of V.E. Day, in the words of Winston Churchill: "Action this day!" (.....and let's get the gauge working!)
Andrew,
Do not have an ammeter.
Will try other measures and see what develops
Thanks for comments.

Tom, can you put a copy of the instructions you received on here as this is puzzling me now. As you have tried more than one unit both sender and gauge including another new one this really can only be an install fault. Not sure why or how but maybe another set of eyes on the instructions might identify something. It would not be the first time i have found translated instructions to be wrong.

Tom, can you put a copy of the instructions you received on here as this is puzzling me now. As you have tried more than one unit both sender and gauge including another new one this really can only be an install fault. Not sure why or how but maybe another set of eyes on the instructions might identify something. It would not be the first time i have found translated instructions to be wrong.
Here we are:-23012-37bf1b1d21c3f31b7613c3231d89db54.jpg

This morning I ran 3 separate earths from each of the instruments. Going to do 3 ignition switch wires to make sure no inter-action between wires.
Running out of wires !!!!!!!!:vsad:

This morning I ran 3 separate earths from each of the instruments. Going to do 3 ignition switch wires to make sure no inter-action between wires.
Running out of wires !!!!!!!!:vsad:

Awaiting the results of this.....!

Tom, i can see nothing obvious that could trip you up or anything at all ambiguous on these instructions. Fingers crossed that the new wires sort it.

Tom, i can see nothing obvious that could trip you up or anything at all ambiguous on these instructions. Fingers crossed that the new wires sort it.
Sadly with all independent wires result was the same.:doh::doh::doh:

Something's wrong here..... I've looked at the wiring diagram you supplied at No. 32, and it seems to have a + and a - connection to the battery, as well as a connection to the oil pressure sensor. At the risk of sounding silly, have you run the engine with the oil pressure sensor in place and wired up? There are some gauges which register "high" until the sensor, be it temperature, oil pressure, voltage etc. sends a message to the gauge. It's a sort of "fail safe" to indicate there's a problem in the wiring when this happens. Many eastern European cars had this type of gauge in the 60s & 70s, Wartburgs and early Skoda 100MBs, to name but two I know of.

If you HAVE wired the gauge up, connected the sensor, started the engine and STILL have a maximum reading, I suggest you disconnect the lead from the "-" terminal on the gauge to the earth on the battery and see what reading (if any) you obtain then.

Another question: what range of values does the gauge have? They're usually 0-10 BAR, although sometimes 0-5 BAR.

Something's wrong here..... I've looked at the wiring diagram you supplied at No. 32, and it seems to have a + and a - connection to the battery, as well as a connection to the oil pressure sensor. At the risk of sounding silly, have you run the engine with the oil pressure sensor in place and wired up? There are some gauges which register "high" until the sensor, be it temperature, oil pressure, voltage etc. sends a message to the gauge. It's a sort of "fail safe" to indicate there's a problem in the wiring when this happens. Many eastern European cars had this type of gauge in the 60s & 70s, Wartburgs and early Skoda 100MBs, to name but two I know of.

If you HAVE wired the gauge up, connected the sensor, started the engine and STILL have a maximum reading, I suggest you disconnect the lead from the "-" terminal on the gauge to the earth on the battery and see what reading (if any) you obtain then.

Another question: what range of values does the gauge have? They're usually 0-10 BAR, although sometimes 0-5 BAR.
Andrew
Gauge is 0-100psi.
Point noted about high reading. Same type of gauge on van 1 no high reading.
Disconnected ignition switch leads one by one still get high reading with ignition on.
Will try earths one by one and see what happens.
More later.

More playing about with wiring connected or not.
Oil pressure gauge does not swing over with earth wire disconnected.
Tried running the engine with sender unit wire connected and no movement at all.
With earth wire connected gauge swings to maximum and stays there with engine running.

Running out of options.

Back