Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

60 year birthday celebrations

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
Am I correct in thinking that next year (2021) is a big year for the Quatrelle? 60 years! It's a Thenay year, isn't it - anyone going via Portsmouth (I'm thinking "convoy"), and do we have dates yet?

Presumably the Renault stand at Retro Mobile 2021 will be rather good (no R4s at all this year - 2020 - but maybe they were saving themselves for next year?)

This assumes COVID19 doesn't knacker everything (sorry about the technical virological parlance).

That will be a milestone to get the Rodeo finished. I bought it right after the 50th anniversary at Thenay. Should it happen it could be a fun plan but I'm not booking ferries early. I'll be in the Calais group.

Thenay for 60th birthdays sound really good.
Tought already about it but unfortunatelly we must plan one day at the time because all this virus issue

Yep, I'm planning on going. Inclined to think I'll go via Calais this time - although depending on if my trip to France at Christmas is cancelled, I might go via Portsmouth to use a Brittany Ferries credit.

Hopefully it should all go ahead and you'd expect that Thenay should be BIG!

Initial plan was that my GTL restoration would be finished this year, in time for the R4 60th anniversary but the new bought old house changed that. So I'll celebrate in the shed :D

I'm planning to go too plus I have an invitation to a friend's 50th birthday party in the Tarn region (actually it will be his 51st - this year was cancelled). But I'll probably go from Newcastle to Amsterdam to avoid the torture of the M6, etc. (or perhaps Rosyth as a campaign to reinstate that ferry service is gathering steam).

Thenay for 60th birthdays sound really good.
Tought already about it but unfortunatelly we must plan one day at the time because all this virus issue
Yes, I think we'll be at the mercy of the virus for some time yet - and probably well into next year. With the vaccine things will be better but it's a lot to wheel out in a few months. I wouldn't make any hard plans or bookings for anything just now.

Sad to report that 4L International won't be going ahead in 2021 - message to their facebook page says Chloe and Raphael have decided to cancel it due to the whole Covid situation and uncertainty.

Gutted but understandable :(

Last edited:
Sad to report that 4L International won't be going ahead in 2021 - message to their facebook page says Chloe and Raphael have decided to cancel it due to the whole Covid situation and uncertainty.

Gutted but understandable :(
Agreed but as you say, sensible in the circumstances. Shame though.

I see the Renault 4 group on Facebook are hoping to have a gathering of 4s to celebrate the 60th birthday on July 10th 11th at Tilford near Farnham in Surrey. It's in conjunction with the Citroen Club who are also having a birthday bash for the Ami, which is also 60. The group would like if possible to have at least 60 R4s present, which should be possible, shouldn't it?
This all depends of course on the Covid situation, but fingers crossed a meeting will take place, and although it's not France, we can do our bit in the UK to support the celebrations from this side of the Channel.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to be there too. Is more information available? Exact location, booking requirements, etc. I used to go to Tilford in the '60s with my grandparents - happy days. We live near Solihull in the Midlands now so we'll be travelling down from there and possibly staying near Tilford somewhere.

Hi. Not much info at moment to speak of, but I do know it is being held at the Rural Life Living Museum at Tilford, and the Renault Owners Club are getting involved.
No details of booking for the event as yet, but I will forward any info here as it
appears.
Regards Brian.

Excellent, thanks for sharing this.
My R4 is at the wrong end of Europe but would be great to attend and meet some of the crew from here.
I’m not on FB but have marked my calendar and will watch this space :)

Best wishes, Simon.

No more news so far Stuart, but as I said I will update as and when anything is announced.
Cheers Brian.

Back