Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tailgate bottom seal

Ewhorn

Enthusiast
Happy Easter All

About 18 months ago, I bought a new lower tailgate seal from Franzose for my GTL. A substantial piece of solid rubber arrived, and I spent a frustrating afternoon wrestling with this glue-covered serpent only to find that the tailgate would not close on the catch, no matter how I adjusted it. I gave up in the end.

I later discovered that the tailgate was misaligned a bit, so I rectified that and tried again with the rubber, having cleaned all the old glue off it and the door.

It was no easier this time, but I managed it in the end. There seems to be no provision made in the seal to accommodate the plastic buffers on the lower edge of the tailgate, but I got them in eventually using a cramp to achieve it.

Does my experience match that of others? It seems to me that the seal is not fit for purpose, and is so hard and unforgiving as to be next to useless. Any comments would be appreciated.

Ewan

There are two types of lower tailgate seal sold - with or without corner pieces. What type was yours? Note that no seal has provision for the rubber buffers, they normally compress the seal a little as they are being fitted.
Some years ago a friend bought parts from Der Franzose, including this tailgate seal (the variety without corner pieces). I had no problem fitting it, and I recall the material being sponge rubber, just what we used to fit for many years. Could it be that Franzose changed suppliers or downgraded some of their parts? It wouldn't surprise me. Most classic car parts companies have gone this way, unfortunately.

There are two types of lower tailgate seal sold - with or without corner pieces. What type was yours? Note that no seal has provision for the rubber buffers, they normally compress the seal a little as they are being fitted.
Some years ago a friend bought parts from Der Franzose, including this tailgate seal (the variety without corner pieces). I had no problem fitting it, and I recall the material being sponge rubber, just what we used to fit for many years. Could it be that Franzose changed suppliers or downgraded some of their parts? It wouldn't surprise me. Most classic car parts companies have gone this way, unfortunately.
Thanks Angel. I'm still unhappy with the result. My seal is the one with corners. Thinking about it today, I think I will cut off the corners and itstall them, the replace the middle section with standard-section door seal. What do you think?

I wouldn't do that, the middle section has a different profile than the seal, plus the seal's profile is not constant through its length. I would buy the other type of seal and hope it's softer.

Back