Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Your opinion...

b12cky

Enthusiast
Just wanted to know what is your opinion on whitewall tires on GTL?
These whitewalls were photoshoped on to my car.
r42.jpg

I like the look of them, but I was under the impression that whitewall tyres were always cross-ply ones, as the white colour would flex too much if applied to a radial one. I may be wrong, but I thought this was the reason why whitewall tyres faded away (ahem!) after the adoption of radial tyres by most car manufacturers in the late 1960s.

Used to run whitewall spats on some of my older cars, as long as your tyres are of a high enough profile they fit both cross ply and radial tyres, there are different types available, from solid 2-4inch walks to lines. Bought mine years ago from ‘Vintage tyre Company’ in Edgware, Honeypot Lane, but they must be avaliable online nowadays, this was the cheap way round instead of going for ‘real’ white wall tyres, just be sure you steer well clear of curbs!

As the Renault 4 is a product of the 1960's, it's fine to consider styling options of the period. Whitewall tyres seemed to originate from America, but certainly influenced European designs of this era. The R4 examples I've found certainly look aspirational, but I really wanted to find photos of the upmarket R4 Parisienne so equipped. However, my recently acquired '67 SAAB 96 also came complete with whitewalls as a clone of the example in the SAAB Museum, so it works for me! On close inspection, the white rubber ring elements clip into the wheel rim, and seem robust and secure. Also available in 13" from ebay: ATLAS 4X 13" WHITE WALL PORTAWALL TYRE INSERT TRIMS SET OF 4. FREE SHIP DHL | eBay

Renault 4 with Whitewall Tyres 101.jpgRenault 4 with Whitewall Tyres 102.jpgPoppy SAAB 96 104.jpg

I like the idea and of course everybody it's own.
As for a GTL with the grey grill, bumpers and side skirts I'd use greywall tires :laughing:

But maybe more modification could work out better for making an "older" look,
- remove the grey plastic grill and replace it for the 70's aluminum
- remove the grey side skirts
- use front and rear chrome bumpers
- and finally apply chrome hub caps with your white walltyres.

However, my recently acquired '67 SAAB 96 also came complete with whitewalls as a clone of the example in the SAAB Museum, so it works for me! On close inspection, the white rubber ring elements clip into the wheel rim, and seem robust and secure.

View attachment 29000
Hey!! Another Saab owner!

149391149_3611071439013845_2692317811238492354_n.jpg

Think white text is better over white walls and I hear that the whitewalls rot out tyres.

Althou I do not know of R4s coming with whitewalls (doute it as it was cheap car) the R16s during the US launch had white text on thier tyres

I really like all the chrome customization on and for every R4 but that orange TL has done 1 enormous major error and that is the 4L super sign!
A real 4L Super is really rare as for it's special tailgate.
Don't put the very rare 4L Super sign on a normal 4L, just don't overdo it or you get it wrong and that's just not right.

It is obviously subjective, but I think white wall tires do not suit Renault 4s, and particularly not GTLs, which have grey trim.

White walls suit much bigger or sporty cars.

Less is sometimes more.

Back