Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1234 on the speedo

Hi Richard
To quote from the handbook:
'Orange figures 1/2/3/4 indicate the most economical speed for the gear concerned. They help you drive economically. As soon as the speedometer needle reaches 1-2 or 3, change up to the next higher gear.
Example: Needle reaches 2 when in 2nd gear, change into 3rd.'

Thanks Andy, makes sense .. Driving up to these numbers certainly means revving up to the maximum.. I change up earlier

JdeW

Enthusiast
If I saw 1234 on my speedo-it woud mean I was going just above mach1 ,I would probably thank the lord
for those superb aerodynamics -Reid
I'm sure Reid, you can reach mach 2 with your Alpine engine but only when you do an upgrade on the gearbox :D
I agree with the superb aerodynamics and don't underestimate the incredible downforce.
Regards Joop

I think it's the maximum recommended speed you can reach in each gear, not the "greenest" point to put the next.

Minty

Enthusiast
Living in France, I am under the impression that the average French peasant is not the sharpest tool in the box, especially after a few pastis! So, assumed the numbers are there to guide them in which order to use the gears. I may be wrong?

Minty

Enthusiast
Hi, my husband says that it's the maximum revs, so change now, anymore and you're flogging a dead horse. He says that the numbers are there because there is no rev counter.