Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1962 R4 Super - the rarest R4 variant?

La Poste

Enthusiast
I've just found an ultra rare 1962 R4 Super on ebay.fr, which as well as being a very early car (making it interesting in itself) boasts such desirable features as chrome rear light and number plate surrounds, a bench front seat (perfect for cats to sleep on when they're tired after a hard day in the workshop), but best of all, a fold-down tailgate (similar to the bootlid on a Mini, but with the added novelty of also having a wind-down rear window, as on a 3 door Land Rover Freelander). These are like hens' teeth even in France (I just checked my own hens - 21 of them - and not one had a single tooth in its mouth, so they're quite rare...) and I've never seen one in the flesh, despite years spent looking.

The car's near Lyon, has been stored for 15 years, is mainly rust free (according to the description), and although it doesn't run the engine isn't seized as a result of its hibernation. There are quite a few photos to feast your eyes on too, even if you're not tempted to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=97149&item=4542104698&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I imagine the bidding will go mad towards the end of the auction as it's such a rare car, but you never know...

Looks lovely .Lyon is only a quick flight and cheap flight away but one hell of a drive back towing this old girl . I say one of these at the Renault owner club open day once and it was a decent bit of kit the rear tailgate.
The engine not being seized does ot surprise me at all .I broke two pre 65 R4s [one a rare van] a couple of years ago and they had stood for 24 years outside and the engines still turned over lovely .I saved both 750cc engines and gearboxes and passed them on to friends who i think still have them if anyone is interested ?

Back