Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1967 R4 Rear Brake Cylinder

The rear cylinders are the same on all R4's. You need to determine whther they are Girling or Bendix so you'll need to remove the drums and look for any marks. Get a Haynes manual because there should be photos of the two different types, however I suspect they will be Bendix.

If so, Quinton Hazel still list them and a good motor factor should be able to get them. Suggest you buy a pair of them as they are not expensive.

I think they are all 19mm diameter ( 3/16) as far as I know, you can usually pick them up on Ebay for very little.

Girling or Bendix specific parts apply to post-83 R4s (handbrake on the rear). So finding a wheel cylinder is very easy, as long as you measure the piston diameter.

The rear cylinders are the same on all R4's. You need to determine whther they are Girling or Bendix so you'll need to remove the drums and look for any marks. Get a Haynes manual because there should be photos of the two different types, however I suspect they will be Bendix.

You must mean the R4 L/TL/GTL models. My F4 has one with 4 connections instead of 3 on our late GTL.

Back