Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1968 Renault 4 Deluxe for sale

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I'm cutting down on Renault 4s. Seven might be one too many, and I didn't count too carefully so it's possible I might have more!

This is the '68 deluxe I picked up from Bristol a year and a bit ago and dry stored since. I've done nothing with it apart from pinch the headlamps and grille badge (which I'd like to keep). It's got a V5 and is on sorn. It was last on the road in 2004 roughly when it was owned by a Morris Minor mechanic, so plenty of pragmatic repairs including the body being welded to the chassis at the front.

The engine runs, but it would need a new starter solenoid before electric starting could be considered a real option. It's been converted to 12V with 4 speed dog-leg first gearbox. The seats are missing (they are in my GTL, but they were taken from the same car as the 4 speed box so weren't original), but I can include a reasonable bench seat interior or a whole selection of rough GTL seats.

My thoughts are it would be fairly easy to get through an MOT - the obvious work would be front floor welding and a new front wing, and maybe some work on the brakes. If a restoration to perfect were planned that would be a big job and a different car might be a better starting point as this one is scruffy in a lot of areas.

If anyone is interested do post or private message. For price - the car has set me back roughly £150 including getting it here, though I have used the headlamps and grille badge which would recover some of that. I'm open to offers.

There's no mad rush. Come on over to have a look and it can go on eBay later in the summer if no-one here wants it. I'll post here to let you know when it is sold. Some photos and more description from when I bought it with a view to complete restoration: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=358

Hi Clementine,

I do like this tatty darling very much indeed and I have the feeling it would be an excellent start fro my Renault 4 experience.
I am having this thought of coming down next Weekend (2./3.06.)with some cash and hopefully an idea how to get the beauty up to Sheffield.
Could you supply some of the spares needed to get her back on the road as well?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter, I'll be around that weekend. Shall message you with my phone number.

I'l probably be able to help with spares - I have 3 other pre'74 cars in various states of disrepair and am only planning to make one and a half out of them. Definately can't do headlamps, and none of the cars have brakes that work.

Financially wouldn't make sense unless you do the welding yourself - taking it to someone else would be expensive and they'd probably muck it up.

Hi Clementine,

That's great.
I shall give you a ring at the weekend.
Luckily I just made friends with my neighbour - I call him Johnny Welder...

Well, hardly can wait to meet the Great Yorkshire Club...
I haven't seen a Renault 4 here for some years.
...will there be club events like trying to get caught speeding?
Please don't count on me in group welding events - I am useless in that.

This is embarrasing - I had a good look around the car today and can't imagine why I thought it was easilly MOTable or even restorable. Would ideally need a new body, chassis, engine and interior, plus all the smaller bits, possibly why I accumulated the other 6 cars. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up.

I can't sell the car as a restoration project - it would be unfair on the buyer. Though if anyone did happen to have all the required bits and pieces and wants a rusty doner car to go with them do let me know.

Hi Clementine,

I am sorry I couldn't make it yesterday.
Your latest posting however sounds disheartening - somehow I already saw the poor thing on my drive complaining about my lack of care.
Is her condition really that bad?
While you were there - did you bump into her rust free twin and immediately thought about selling her on?

I think the chassis is past saving (or at least would be very hard work to restore) and the body is tatty. I think it would probably be better to base a restoration on another car.

There are cars that pop up from time to time in better condition. Probably 3 or 4 pop up every year that were built before 1980 (the nicer ones).

Back