Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1972 Renault 4 s

bigoldboy

Enthusiast
My last post was very quiet so I will try again . On the registration document for my car it calls it a 4 s so can anyone tell me if there is any difference in cars because of the s .
Also what is the recommended brake fluid for this car or would a Universal fluid be ok .
Last but not least , would it be a difficult job to swop the engine and transmission from a 1982 GTL to my 1972 4 s ?

Thanks in anticipation .

Hi

The original brake fluid used would have been SAE J1703 or DOT3. As for the 845cc to 1108cc engine upgrade, it is possible, mainly a nut and bolt job. However, in addition to sourcing the engine. You would need the 4GTL engine mounts plus their brackets which bolt to the chassis, the crossmember which is bolted to and straddles both inner wings on a 4GTL (the gear lever passes through the center of this component), a 4GTL battery retaining plate, a 4GTL radiator, radiator fan and hoses, all the GTL cables; accelerator, clutch , choke etc.

I hope this helps.

Hi

The original brake fluid used would have been SAE J1703 or DOT3. As for the 845cc to 1108cc engine upgrade, it is possible, mainly a nut and bolt job. However, in addition to sourcing the engine. You would need the 4GTL engine mounts plus their brackets which bolt to the chassis, the crossmember which is bolted to and straddles both inner wings on a 4GTL (the gear lever passes through the center of this component), a 4GTL battery retaining plate, a 4GTL radiator, radiator fan and hoses, all the GTL cables; accelerator, clutch , choke etc.

I hope this helps.

That's brilliant thanks .I already have access to the 1982 GTL but this sounds like quite a complicated job .
With your information I will think about it .
My 1972 R4 s is complete and nearing readiness for the road so it may be a shame to start dismantling mine right now .
Thanks again , regards

Since the 852 engine comes from the same "family" as the 1108, the conversion would be easier than when converting from a "Billancourt" 845cc.
There is no need to move the battery.
In theory the 1108 has a front mounted radiator and needs it along with hoses, electric fan etc, plus bonnet (important!) but in practice you already have a center mounted radiator for the Cleon engine, so if it was me, I would use is as it is, possibly having it recored to three-row.

Hi, I agree with @angel.
Leave the radiator in the spot it is now.
No need to change anything else.

Actually an easy swap.

So if you have a GTL engine and gearbox.
Just put it in. Reconnect the radiator in the middle position
And put the fan from the Spanish engine on the GTL engine and you are done.

That sounds better but what about the electrics? My car has a dynamo and the GTL is using an alternator. Just a thought.

You remove the dynamo and simply bolt it on the 1108 engine. Otherwise, you make a simple wiring modification and fit the GTL alternator. The rest of the engine electrics is not affected. The starter motor must be that of the GTL (but it comes off with the engine/gearbox assembly anyway).

Thank you for the info. I will certainly consider the modification if the Sierra motor turns out to be well worn.
Regards

If it's RHD there are also clearance issues with the fuel pump and steering rack I moved the handbrake to the other side when I did the conversion.

I much prefer the 850 engine to the 1100. Not much slower and the car feels much nicer to drive.

If it's RHD there are also clearance issues with the fuel pump and steering rack I moved the handbrake to the other side when I did the conversion.

I much prefer the 850 engine to the 1100. Not much slower and the car feels much nicer to drive.

Thanks for that . I am only considering the swop because I have a 1982 complete car to use as parts and I haven't driven my car yet since I had it delivered to our rental place in Spain . Ours is a 1972 Renault 4 s FASA built at the factory in Valladolid Northern Spain and is left hand drive . The Sierra motor starts fine and doesn't really smoke much at all but the oil pressure light flickers at low tick over so I'll do the oil filter and change the oil and maybe all will be good .Regards .

As you might have read @malcolm
The sierra 852 cc engine is a smaller version of the 1108 cc cleon. It is a completely different ride compared to the billancourt 845 cc engine.

That is a matter of opinion.
The 1108 cc is a more quiet ride compared to the 845 cc billancourt. I like the sound of the small billancourt engine.

The 852 cc Sierra is comparable to the 1108 cc Cleon. A bit noisier because of more revs.

Back