Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1978 R4 arriving Monday

Milky

Enthusiast
Hello to everyone , After years of not owning a R4 one hopefully one will arrive next Monday on a recovery truck.It was last used in the early 80s and has sat in a dilapidated garage in East London since then.I have only seen a photo and the condition I would say is not great and is probably ideal for a spares vehicle or a brave resto.Will keep you posted .Regards Liam Jones

Pictures of its emergence into the light of day after almost 40 years would be interesting.....

Yes exactly the one ! I did wonder who was still involved with the R4s and your your name was on the list .Derek Flavel obviously still about , Robert Kay/Cay ? , nice couple with big dog and R4 van who went on the 50th anniversary run ? , Andrew Mcgraph from New Heliport motors in Penzance ? etc etc

Last edited:
Best someone on the forum buys this before I have to go the eBay route (not too keen )

Excellent ! really good to catch up with the community again. Always had good memories when owning R4s .I never intended to get this car the owner is clearing his dilapidated garages and this just had to go somewhere apart from the scrapyard. Quite looking forward to see it on Monday .Not really sure how solid it will be but considering it's a 1978 car and the owner seems to remember it not starting in the early 80s and it sitting in his garage ever since so its hardly had many years on the road.

Well it's here and full to the brim with loads of boxes of books , brochures, maps ,scalatrix etc etc .Tax disc show it was last on the road in 1983.I will work my way through all the stuff then see what she is like ? First impression is very very original and great basis for a restoration.

• 20200713_133915.jpg
    20200713_133915.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200713_133848.jpg
    20200713_133848.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200713_133813.jpg
    20200713_133813.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200713_133924.jpg
    20200713_133924.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 7
Wow! I got itchy hands :D any photos on the interior and engine compartment?

Verbally sold today and heading down around the Kent and Sussex borders .Will get a few more pics tomorrow but I got mileage wrong it was just over 10,000 miles from new.

Nice basis for restoration @Milky looking forward on the restoring progress, though of will take a lot of effort and work judging by the first pictures.
Regards, Joop

Last edited:
It's on eBay at the minute and has some interest .Inside the car is loads of car brochures that I will sort out this week also a vintage scaletrix ,numerous car books and a naturist magazine from 1970 that is hilarious .

IMG-20200708-WA0009.jpgWell the R4 got collected today and now have another one in my sights .This one pictured has sat outside a old farmhouse near me for the last 15ish years .It is on french plates and is LHD .I did put a note through the letter box some years ago but no answer back ? but I have since heard the farmhouse is unoccupied.Wish me luck !

View attachment 26523Well the R4 got collected today and now have another one in my sights .This one pictured has sat outside a old farmhouse near me for the last 15ish years .It is on french plates and is LHD .I did put a note through the letter box some years ago but no answer back ? but I have since heard the farmhouse is unoccupied.Wish me luck !
It's disappeared ! and there is now a large log blocking the entrance to the house ? So that's about it for now with me and R4s but nice to catch up with everyone and stay safe.

The house has been purchased by a new buyer and the R4 was passed to her in the sale, her plan was to do it up, so she said

Back