Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1990 Renault 5 Starter Motor Problem

Luker2100

Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I have an issue (yet again!) with my renault 5 starter motor. It gave up a few days ago and i am trying to isolate what the problem is. I havent yet pulled anything out due to the snow on the ground but will as soon as I am sure which bits to remove.

The engine wont turn over when the key is turned. I know the motor isnt jammed as i have bumped started it a few times.

Then you turn the key there is the 'click' noise which i take to be the solenoid?

Does this mean the problem must be that the motor or the brushes are knackered or are there potentially other problems?

Thanks guys,

Luke

Hi Luke,
could possibly be just the excited wire on the solenoid which could be dirty. Its the push on spade connector. Try cleaning the terminal first before removing the starter..

cheers
andrew

Is your battery fully charged and does it hold it. as a tired battery in cold weather can fail to perform.

Luke, sounds as if your starter is on the way out. If it's not a case of dirty connections then get another one.
If you're stuck I have a brand new one.

Hi Guys,

Thanks, I still haven't had a proper look with the multimeter. the weather up here is horrific.

Could you contact me about this motor you have Steve?

Cheers,

Luke

First thing-Check ground is 100% motor/battery/wires.. if using a thinner
wire than original you will only get that Click-Starter sucks a LOT ofcurrent..

Back