Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1992 Renault 4 - How to recognize engine output?

Sotiris-4L

Enthusiast
Hello,

My friends and I recently bought a 1992 4L and we are planning to use it in the 2020 4L Trophy in Morocco.

We are in the process of buying parts to fix some issues but we have noticed that 956cc engines came in two power outputs (34HP and 42HP) and so do spare parts.

Is there a way to tell which engine we have, perhaps by looking at the engine code or a component?

Thanks,
Sotiris

The 956cc with 42 HP is an engine that was used in the Renault 5TL. Engine Number 689 7/10
The differences are: A 32mm carburetor and a different camshaft to open the valves a bit longer and further.

The engine in a Renault 4TL/ Savane is the one with 34HP. It has a 28mm Zenith 28IF carburetor.
That is the most probable engine you have in your 1992 4L. Engine number C1C

Or It has been swapped for an engine from a Renault 5.

The 956cc with 42 HP is an engine that was used in the Renault 5TL. Engine Number 689 7/10
The differences are: A 32mm carburetor and a different camshaft to open the valves a bit longer and further.

The engine in a Renault 4TL/ Savane is the one with 34HP. It has a 28mm Zenith 28IF carburetor.
That is the most probable engine you have in your 1992 4L. Engine number C1C

Or It has been swapped for an engine from a Renault 5.

Awesome! Thank you for the very quick reply! Ours is a Savane so 34HP it is but I will go measure the carburetor to be sure :)

Thanks!

You probably don’t have to do any measuring. The Zenith 28 has a cable to operate the butterfly valve.
The 32mm carburetor has a rigid arm that operates the butterfly valve.
The arm is hinged on the rocker cover.

Back