Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4 GTL renovation project

quatrelle87

Enthusiast
Having sold my last 4L over 4 years ago, I'm long overdue a replacement (other cars have come and gone, or come and remained!). Here's my new acquisition. A 1982 GTL. Last on the road over 2 years ago. Bodywork solid, but work required to the floors and some small chassis repairs. Work priced up, and plans in place. Hopefully back on the Limousin road within a few months.
Renault 4 GTL.jpg

Congratulations on your latest R4! I hope you can get it back on the road soon :)

As the weeks go by, progress is (slowly) being made. Not surprisingly, more rust underneath than originally thought, so more new metal going in … floor currently resembles something from The Flintstones!
IMG_0527_zpseyrsitif.jpg

Exciting to see progress on my 4L today - new front floor section in, repair plates ready to go in rear floor, and other small areas of welding completed. Next, repairs to the rear suspension before replacing the exhaust. Then reassembly! Getting there.
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG
20180722_115956.jpg
20180722_120009.jpg

Hi all
Good progress on my GTL renovation. All floor and chassis repairs now complete. Ready for interior to go back in, new exhaust to go on, and for then a full service. Hopefully ready to go for CT in a few weeks time. My aim is to get it road legal by mid-October … fingers crossed!
I'm going to leave the paintwork as it is for now. No rust issues on the bodywork, just a few small scuffs and age related marks. Somehow, though, I like the story this tells of the cars life and I'm tempted to just give her a good wash and polish for now.
Here are a couple of pics following work on the rear suspension and final underside repairs.

20180919_151449.jpg20180919_151528.jpg

As the weeks go by, progress is (slowly) being made. Not surprisingly, more rust underneath than originally thought, so more new metal going in … floor currently resembles something from The Flintstones!
IMG_0527_zpseyrsitif.jpg
is that a Stag alongside the R4

With so many R4s and other older vehicles being scrapped in France due to the rigours of the revised CT test it is good to see another being repaired. Look forward to seeing it on the Limousin roads.

With so many R4s and other older vehicles being scrapped in France due to the rigours of the revised CT test it is good to see another being repaired. Look forward to seeing it on the Limousin roads.
Exactly. A friend of mine has recently scrapped his lovely 1994 Twingo for a brand new plastic euro box. Thankfully, there are plenty of us around who love these old cars and are mad enough to restore them and keep them as our daily transport :)

Well, she's all put back together again and was taken for her first CT in four years yesterday. Despite our best efforts, she failed on a couple of points. Thankfully nothing serious, and we'll be getting to work on those two jobs this coming week. Fingers crossed she passes her 'contre visite' and has her new CT very soon. I'm determined to have her back on the road again in the next couple of weeks!

I'm glad they were not serious points. Good luck with getting those sorted and passing its CT.

She's home! She passed her CT last week, and I collected her this morning. Lovely drive home - her longest drive in decades - and she performed perfectly. So happy. Can't turn the heater down, so she's pumping out hot air, but the cold weather is due to arrive shortly so I can live for that for a while ;)
She'll take me to work tomorrow for the first time. Can't wait.
20181021_174430.jpg

So, all was going well until this week. She's been taking me to work on and off without a problem the last few weeks. Last week, she had a flat battery, which I recharged. This week, the battery light starting to flash on and off. This morning, she just managed to get me to work - by the time I got to work, her lights were so dim, they were like candles, and there wasn't even enough power for the indicators! The alternator doesn't look very old - so I thought it was just the battery (no idea how old it is). But now I'm wondering if it is actually the alternator.

On top of that, she blew a hole in her silencer this morning. It's all adding up to be a pricey day today!

If you have access to a multimeter, then could you see what the voltage is across the battery when the engine is running: the alternator should be creating a voltage around 14V. If it's less that than, then the alternator isn't charging the battery correctly.

See also https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/ignition-light.8840/

Thanks for your help … I'll have a look (when I find someone with a multimeter!) ...

In addition to the above, and probably not related, the cooling fan doesn't appear to be working. I'll get to the bottom of all this soon … I hope.

Since your cooling fan is electric (I'm assuming, as it's a GTL), then it might all be related. Check the connections.

Muriel, my 4L, is nearly ready for her first historic car rally next month. She needs to have one of the rear wheels realigned, so that's next on the list, swiftly followed by installing a Twingo 1 sunroof. Ordered it last week, and it arrived within 3 days. In good condition. Gave it a good clean yesterday, and am making a template for the cut out this afternoon. Hope to have it fitted in a couple of weeks … watch this space ;)
sunroof for muriel.jpg

Sunroof successfully fitted. A long day yesterday, drilling, cutting, test fitting after test fitting, but it was worth it. Really pleased with the end result. I just need to fit the internal finishing off sections in order to hide all the screws, but need to buy some very thick double-sided tape for that. Another shopping trip.
Gave Muriel a good wash today, and couldn't find any obvious leaks, so fingers crossed. Also had time to sort out some of the niggling issues, including the heater control knob, gear knob, driver's door pocket and driver's door lock. She's now ready for the Rallye de la Porcelaine Historique on 13th and 14th April! Bring it on :)
20190328_103724.jpg

Back