Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4GTL carb

ggcton

Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me which carb should be on a 1984 GTL ?
I have a new solex 32SEIA but the one on the car looks to be a 22 or 28 Zenith.
I had fuel delivery problems on the way back to Lincolnshire and have fitted a new pump and the car is now running again but I hope to tune everything and service the car tomorrow.

GTLs normally had the 28IF Zenith as standard.

The 32mm carb from the Renault 5 is a big part of the Hennessey Hot Up Kit, but needs the manifold from the R5 (big hole in the middle and stud spacing are different from memory), and ideally also the waterpump for the manifold heating, air filter housing and the throttle linkage on the rocker cover.

Thanks to you both

Thanks,
My car also has the Zenith 28, I have been having trouble getting enough fuel to the carb we have fitted a new pump but the car is starved of fuel above about 40 MPH.
I have heard that these carbs can have problems with the spindle ware.
Any ideas?

There's a gauze fuel filter behind the brass fitting where the fuel pipe attaches to the carb. Unscrew the brass fitting and give the filter a good clean. :D

There are other filters that can get blocked - one in the outlet from the tank I believe can be tested by blowing back into the pipe going to the fuel pump.

If it was going all right before it started starving then blocked main jet would be a fair possibility. It's helpful to have a fuel filter between the pump and carb to prevent this.

more advice

Thanks Malcolm I will check these.
I have what looks like a paint code 355 B1 do you know this colour.Gary

355 = Arctic white (we are getting more!)
B= painted (and built) in Billancourt
1=Paint manufacturer: Renault

Back