Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

65 R4L export seats wanted

renoir cigar

Enthusiast
65 R4L front seats wanted

Am I insane for putting out the call to locate a set of front seats for a 65 R4L export model, considering I live in Australia, freight isn't such an issue really, especially if someone else packs thems! ( If they exist of course).

Steven

Last edited:
Hi again Steven. If you have a pic of these seats you might find it makes it easier for us to recognize them..Were they Specific for -65 only or what?? skaii/naugahide or what? colour?
-You'll probably need them just to sit down when you see the freight... or have you robbed a bank lately?? c",) -R.

I'm gagging that someone responded!... No I don't like to discuss my line of business, it is a 65 and I'll put up an image from parts catalogue showing what exactly I'm looking for, they are the seats with the metal panel on rear seat.
Cheers Steven
I wish I could put names to all the folks I met at Thenay because pseudonyms just add to the confusion. I also can't heap enough praise on Malcolm for his quiet dedication to this site, he deserves an award I reckon:)

we met for dinner in Mont Michel together with Malcolm- (I'm the Very handsome,slim,intelligent and witty guy-remember? c",) -R.

and by the way;Yes you are def.insane.. I have a complete set of 2 separate front-seats plus rear-bench No tears or rips.They're in light brown naugahyde.1 front-seat (passenger-seat) is tiltable.I have all the brackets etc. They came off my (taken fom the oval plate) R-1123
593 592
Reg'd in Norway 01/67 so ought to be -66mod. All in amazingly Very nice condition,spongy&not dried out.alltogether sweet -as they come! -R.

you certainly is a strange lot under there in Aussiland-sleeping in the day-time are you?? As I hear you all have serious big guns (or is that America??) I need to go over my seats to check them for tiny cracks Or I'll wake up dead in the morning right?:eek: -R.

Steve,
There seems to have been a few different seat styles. One of my '63 R1123 has front seats like in the picture attached with only one set of seats shown in it. It's hammock style and can slide forwards and backwards. The other pictures show a non-sliding hammock style and two padded seats.

All R4s I've seen round here (Melbourne) have the folding rear seats rather than hammock style to match the front - so I don't think they correspond to any of the pics!

The few other examples I've seen seem to have rear seats adapted to use on the front. My other R1123 is like that but I don't know it was like that originally.

All very confusing. I think you'll need to be alert to get the particular ones you want.

Cheers, Geoff

• Seats !.jpg
    Seats !.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Seat 2.jpg
    Seat 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I seem to have misplaced my nice parts book which is starting to annoy me! I'm pretty sure the seats are the solid plate backed ones (rear) but the back seats it came with are the tube frame slung fabric version, where is that damn book!!
To be continued, thanks for responding Reidel, Geoff... : )
Book....
Steven

I've got a PDF of PR1005 I could send you - it's too big to post here, but you could PM if you're interested. This covers R1123 - R1126 - R1128 - R1129 1976 to 1982, so it's not good for the early Australian 1123. I find it useful to identify when someone suggests the wrong part! It's got 40 pages on seats - no wonder it's a confusion.

I've got a hard copy of PR728 which I think is the one you need - took me ages to find one. If you can't find yours there's one going on eBay at present: http://cgi.ebay.fr/CATALOGUE-PR-728-RENAULT-4-R1123-24-ET-2104--/150518364103?pt=FR_JG_Auto_manuels&hash=item230b97f7c7#ht_500wt_918

Cheers, Geoff

Last edited:
I just looked through all the paperwork that came with the car and thought I'd see if the original owner was around, same phone number as then, we just spoke and he told me he bought the car in 65, it was imported from England, or exported... he recalls picking it up from the factory, also it had the hammock single frame bench front seat so now I know exactly what I'm looking for...

no parts book yet.

Why do you have a steering wheel down your trousers?

I don't know but it's driving me nuts.

the book is parts book 808 which i bought in Thenay Geoff, thanks. Now the seat is this one. I suppose it could actually be fabricated without to much difficult possibly. I'm also after the cover for the mechanism on tailgate arm, the grey plastic cover, anyone got a nice one they can part with?

Steven

• IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 135
That seat is the same as for one of my cars - the other has a rear seat fitted to front. I reckon you might be right about fabricating one. My brothers in the metal fabrication game - I'll ask him about the prospects of making one using mine as a pattern.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I was chatting to one of the blokes at the car club this arvo about the prospect of doing this, the issues being the gauge of tubing and having some shapes to bend it round, he was having a time with making up some seats for his wileys jeep. I look forward to hearing what your brother thinks of the idea, fabric is the next problem of course, I have been plugging away at bogging panels for spraying, tedioud activity.
Cheers Steven

Do you have any samples or detail on the fabric. I imagine it's something more than just a stretch of cloth over the frame. Mine's only got shreds on it so it's going to be a guessing game as to what it was like.

They came in different colour combos Geoff, I'll scan off parts catalogue which has illustrated swatches, beats me where you'd go looking for fabric though.

That is a whole new quest, Mark from Sydney scooped up the 69 van last night after I tipped him off, he may have several extra seats, I've dibbed the fronts sorry but the NZ chap might not have to be called upon as such, plus these are alot closer to freight:eek:. Although it's all hypothetical at present, Mark is waiting to check out the wreck he purchased, it's out bush. It was funny, I told him to hang in and a car would show then boom, there it was. Serendipity no less.

I wanted one about 3 years ago and gave up. I think he'd be pretty happy with that find though the price asked was a bit high.

Hmmm.
We can stop bothering the Clementine community and have this conversation on AF too!

here are those fabric swatches from parts catalogue P.R.808 Geoff in the gully.

where you could source such fabric is a mystery....

If you any information as to the whereabouts of these fabrics call our hotline on .... Any information will be treated as confidential. Phone charges apply.

free steak knives?

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 93
Ah, mug shots! I'll see if my source* can finger these guys ...

*whose identity I can't reveal!
It'll take a couple of weeks for me to flush him out of hiding.

btw, I had good look at a '63 1123 a chap in the next suburb has just picked up. It's in near perfect original condition including the front seats, which the same as what we're looking for.

The seats are in such good condition I suspect they may have been redone - cars done 80,000 miles. But they look like the pictures so if they have been redone I reckon it's a faithful reproduction. Anyway, its a sample for comparison of material type and gauge.

More than we had a week ago.

That sample labelled 'P1' - is that headlining?

Back