Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

6v 12v conversion

Brandon

Enthusiast
I'm trying to figure out how to hook up a 12v generator and I'm not convinced I got it right. I have + on gen to DYN on regulator. Exc on gen to exc on regulator. Neg on gen to a neg ground on car. can someone please run me thru this or show me how you have it hooked up?

Last edited:
There should be a B+ terminal on the conrol box that should be connected to the battery plus, and another terminal for the charge warning light (it's common with the DYN/D+ terminal).
What type of control box do you have? There are some types that switch the positive side of the charging voltage, and others the negative side. The dynamo has to correspond to this setting, but if not, it can be modified internally. The most simple way of doing it right is to have a dynamo mand control box of the same make, or to get them off as a pair from a car.

Ducellier regulator and Ducellier generator. Regulator has DYN and Bat at the bottom. EXC at the top. I think I have it right. I revved up engine and voltage went up to 13 at battery. So it must be charging. ( I hope) has anyone converted to an alternator from a later model?

It works OK. Converting to alternator after you have converted to 12V is very easy, you will only need the alternator itself, its tensioning strap and the correct control box, except if the alternator is of the latest type with built-in control box, in which case you simply remove the old control box, or leave it in place just for looks.
To be honest I wouldn't fit an alternator to an early R4. If you don't have additional lights or 80/100W bulbs, the dynamo is fine and very reliable.

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up a 12v generator and I'm not convinced I got it right. I have + on gen to DYN on regulator. Exc on gen to exc on regulator. Neg on gen to a neg ground on car. can someone please run me thru this or show me how you have it hooked up?
Silly question I am looking for a 6 volt Dynamo for a very early Renault 4 if you're still works I could be interested

Silly question I am looking for a 6 volt Dynamo for a very early Renault 4 if you're still works I could be interested

Not silly, but I'm keeping all the 6v parts in case I want to go back to complete original in the future.

What year did the alternator come with the control box on it?
Hi Brandon. I have a refurbished as new alternator with integral controls. Came from a 78 car that had done 60,000 km.Details and photos in parts for sale
Ducellier Alternator. Regards Edwin

Back