Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

850 timing

STEPHEN OGG

hi, Icant work out the timing for my 1972/73 car, the haynes manuel gives in mm which i cant work out, ive now got it at tdc and it really does'nt seem to make a lot of difference there or at 15 btdc! Im pretty sure on on the correct mark on the flywheel as its the only one I can find, any help will be most appreciated thanks steve:(

You are right the 850 is not too sensitive if the ignition timing is a little more advanced. Furthermore, correct ignition timing is not critical at tickover, but rather at higher speeds/loads, where you will see difference once you adjust the timing correctly.
Correct ignition timing is 6 deg BTDC at idle speed. What is described in the Haynes is these six degrees expressed in flywheel circumference. You simply set the TDC notch to be 9-11 mm before the TDC pointer (that is, the flywheel notch must be 9-11 mm to the left of the pointer, when viewed from the front). Then, with paint, make a mark on the flywheel exactly below the pointer. Now you have the correct timing mark.

thanks Angel....just found that speedy parts can supply new carburetors for around £60 + del and vat yours steve

Bravo Angel

... (that is, the flywheel notch must be 9-11 mm to the left of the pointer, when viewed from the front)...

Hi Angel, look how much literature on the R4 I collected, even in three languages - but nobody maked clear the ignition timing setting better as you!

:hug: Regards Pavel

• 01navody.jpg
    01navody.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 51
Back