Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

95kph Top Speed - Heellp

Ray K

Enthusiast
Hi all,
I have a '85 F4 (R4 van) which currently has a max speed of only 95kph!!:eek:

I've recently changed the plugs, points, leads, dist cap, fuel pump and gave the carb a full cleaning.

The car starts & runs fine, idles fine, does not pink or misfire but just goes really slow in top gear..whats the problem??:confused:

I guess it may be the plug and points gap - can someone confirm please?

Its an 845cc-i think(B1BD7/07) with a Ducellier distributor(R287D83) and is not covered by the Haynes manual so not sure what the gaps should be.

i fit new Renault plugs straight from the box, gap was 0.8mm which seems a bit big. Points are set to 0.4mm.

Any help is greatly welcomed - Thanks

I had some similar problems in the spring. Please check:
- valves clearance
- presence of the carbon brush in the distributor cap centre
... and I interchanged the high-tension leads between 1. and 2. cylinder once. Haha, it was funny. The engine started very well, max. speed about 80 km/h and I removed and cleaned everything possible :D

sounds like ignition timing is long way retarded you dont mention checking it or even what points gap/dwell angle you have car set at
even replacing/adjusting points will alter timing if previously set
exact setting will depend on dist number also worth checking that bobweights in distributor are moving correctly lubricate centre spindle under rotor arm

Had a similar problem once and it turned out to be the manifold gasget. Worth checking just to rule it out. Easy fix if it is.
Ailbe

The gap on your sparkplugs are a bit over the 0.55-0.65 tolerance. The points gap is spot on. You might like to play with the advance a bit to get more eager acceleration rates. Do you have a timing light? It's worth borrowing or buying one.
Do bear in mind that you have only 845 cc and a less aerodynamicaly efficient vehicle so you'll only gain 10-15 km/h over what you have now.

Thanks all for the great advice..think i've some checking to do this week..! Just some comments:
Head gasket seems fine as theres no oil in coolant or vice versa and its not losing oil or coolant or smoking.
I've changed all the HT leads, plugs points and distributor cap so they 'should' be fine(famous last words). Previously i had about 110-5kph and the van got there a lot quicker too.
As far as timing is concerned..i have no strobe light or anything like that so the timing is probably way off, as i adjusted it by hand (rotating the distributor slightly with the engine running until it gave a reasonable tickover off the choke). Not the most technical but i couldnt find the timing mark on the flywheel as i cant figure out how to turn the engine over by hand with the gearbox in the way(any tips?)When i turn the fan the belt just turns on the pulleys and i cant find anywhere to get a spanner to crank it over..

but i couldnt find the timing mark on the flywheel as i cant figure out how to turn the engine over by hand with the gearbox in the way(any tips?)When i turn the fan the belt just turns on the pulleys and i cant find anywhere to get a spanner to crank it over..

Engage 4th gear, put blocks on rear wheels so the car will not move, release handbrake,and lift one front wheel, you will be able to turn engine by rotating the wheel.

Thanks all for the great advice.
You're welcome :)
I couldnt find the timing mark on the flywheel as i cant figure out how to turn the engine over by hand with the gearbox in the way(any tips?)When i turn the fan the belt just turns on the pulleys and i cant find anywhere to get a spanner to crank it over..

I know how that feels. If you can't get the wheel turned in 4th gear try 1st gear. Timing marks on the 845cc engine consist of 1 arrow shaped indicator and a groove on what I think is a fly-wheel. It's just forward of the arrow bit. It can only be seen from the startermotor side of the engine ( Driver side for left hand drive or passenger side of the vehicle for right hand drive ). If you can mark this groove with white so you'll see it a bit easier.

The strobe/ timing light costs about € 70,-. I've had a Hella device. That one is in my opinion too expensive and very fragile. The slightest shock ( gravity or electrical ) will kill it. There is one called Tach-advance which is identical to what you would find in any Renault workshop which is cheaper and will allow you to do the same as with the more expensive Hella light.
What you are looking for is a device that shows rpm and advance angle. With rpm only one could get a fair setting. Not perfect, but fair. It is absolutely worth borrowing or buying one.

Last edited:
Oh dear..

So it was so nice here last weekend (20degC) i decided to take the quatrelle for a little run to blow off the cobwebs..

Malheureusement...she overheated 'slightly' and blew the radiator apart...:mad:
No coolant warning lamp came on so i was oblivious to the rising temp until it went bang on the autoroute and steam started gushing out from under the bonnet.

Guess the timing was too far advanced....anyways, hopefully no other damage is done (eg head gasket:eek:) but all looks fine.Just need to find a new rad now

My R2106 has a rusty stain on the inside of the bonnet right over the radiator. It must have had a similar accident at some point in it's life. As a consequence I have replaced several hoses and the radiator because they looked knackered.

Back