Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

98 R reg Clio 1.2 PETROL LEAK!

joholland84

Hey everybody, im new and not very good at cars

I bought a Renault Clio R reg 1998 1.2 which has only done 19000 miles. This is what I have been told happens and what has been done to fix it:

When filled to full it then leaks a LOT of petrol from the top where there is a large screw lid with ‘O’ ring. After investigation, any attempts to solve this problem have failed resulting in the same problem. bought a new screw top and ‘O’ ring for the tank top access/sender unit but this did not solve the problem.

Apparantly it is a tank design fault. Has anyone got any more ideas as our mecanic cant solve it either. Or maybe someone knows whether it was a recall or if there is something i can buy to fix the problem. A new tank is going to cost me a lotta money! There is no hole as the tank has been thoroughly looked at.

Thanks everyone, hope you can help

Hi,
simple ! at work we get a lot of people filling their car with the wrong fuel [diesel instead of petrol and vice versa] easiest way is to undo the large screw, syphon the fuel out and fill with fuel .
Problem is though trying to reseal afterwards if the plastic tank is not 100 % empty the screw thread hole in the tank goes oblong shaped [due to the weight of the fuel inside] and when you come to fitting the round screw top and o-ring it does not seal or fully tighten and slightly cross threads in the tank .
Fully empty the tank then carefully look on the screw top and the tank and see exactly where the threads start on each and be careful to intially line these up .It toke a lot of swearing ,leaks and stinking of petrol for a morning before i sussed this out.

Hi there, thanks very much for your help. I am going to put it to my mecanic and see what he thinks. Ill let you know on this forum if it works!

Back