Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

A bit more poke !

nobananas

Enthusiast
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been covered before ! I should be restoring one of my F6's soon and have been toying with the idea of modifying it for a bit more go (need to keep up with the wifes T5 !) A turbo conversion either Gordini (if I could ever find one !) or the slightly more complicated 5 GT turbo is an obvious choice but has any of you guys done or heard of anything else ? A bit of inspiration would be much apprieciated.

The bigger engined thing has been covered a little but not in much depth. There is a bit of reading about the r5 turbo engine, fitting a 1.4 engine, fun with a 1.3.

I'm planning to fit a non-turbo Gordini engine in one of mine. I have the doner car (completely rotten) and the engine seems very tractable with a nice top end. For that conversion Derek of Renospeed suggests I might need to lower the engine and possibly move the UJ in the steering column. LHD cars would be easier to convert.

There would most likely be a lot of hassle using a super 5 engine block as it's all the wrong way around, but the MK1 R5 engines should drop in so long as everything is moved out of the way.

There's a R5 Gordini Turbo that's being split on Andys' R5 Gordini site, it was posted on the 8th November, the contact address is geezer31@hotmail.com
If you have any problems, try the Dutch R4 sites as there's quite a few guys who have done this type of conversion over there and they're pretty amenable, plus there's always Derek at Renospeed.
Best of luck and let us know how you go.

Rudi.

Cheers guys, given me something to think about. Have been collecting bits and pieces over the last few years and managed to pick up a clean set of Gordini turbo alloy wheels. The only bad side to this was that the bloke I bought them off said he had scrapped the car they belonged to the week before !!!!! (you could have heard me screaming in the next county !) and the engine was perfect !

Back