Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

A few infos needed ...

Bertl

Goißatreiber
Hi everybody ... happy new year!

I'm checking French ads for R4s ATM, and I'm still trying to decide on the features my future steed has to have. I think I've read all the relevant threads here but ...

- Some of the 4s seem to have black leatherette seats. When were they included and in what models ... and most importantly, were matching headrests produced / can headrests be fitted to the non-headrested variety

- How hard is a swap of the new dashboard for an old one if (I'm talking GTL here) I were to keep the floor mounted handbrake lever? What adaptation is needed in terms of electrics (ISTR a battery gauge on my 81 TL, but no temperature gauge)?

- Are GTL bonnets different in a way that would prohibit mounting a 68-74 asymmetrical chrome grille?

- some French ads contain the abbreviation "hs" ... judging from the cars concerned this means they are goners, but what does the abbreviation mean in long form?

Thanks again for your input ... for me it's now just a matter of time and finding a good base car to start with.

Robert

hs = hors service, in other words its broken.
Sorry can not help you with the rest of the queries.

- Some of the 4s seem to have black leatherette seats. When were they included and in what models ... and most importantly, were matching headrests produced / can headrests be fitted to the non-headrested variety

The leatherette seats were fitted to many cars until about 1981. I've seen a lot of later cars in France with 1970 seats fitted (these are replacements for the later seats taken from older cars - the leatherette ones are more comfortable and last longer).

- How hard is a swap of the new dashboard for an old one if (I'm talking GTL here) I were to keep the floor mounted handbrake lever? What adaptation is needed in terms of electrics (ISTR a battery gauge on my 81 TL, but no temperature gauge)?

Very difficult - the metal structure that mounts the dash is different, as is the wiring loom. It would be easier to fit a GTL engine into an earlier car (though brakes can be tricky if you want discs).

- Are GTL bonnets different in a way that would prohibit mounting a 68-74 asymmetrical chrome grille?
The chrome grille has little mounting taps at the ends, but there is no location in the GTL bonnet. Most people remove the mounting tabs and this doesn't appear to cause problems.

Some additions, from my experience...

All R4 seats can be fitted to any R4! (and I have seen seats fitted from Opel, Peugeot 205, Renault 5, Renault 16, Alfa Romeo, BMW...if you want to get really far!). If you want to stay original (and that's the best!) seats from about '83 onwards have headrest mounting points in their frames, even if they are not so equipped. Also, German-spec seats had these feature, from early 70's.

Yes, the bulkhead structure on newer cars is different but the mounting points of the dashboard are few and straightforward, so if you get a little creative with them and the fresh air ducts, it can be done easily. Just as many "early" cars have been converted to GTL dashboard.
The wiring looms are different but they can be easily adapted to early style dashboard,and vice versa. Keep in mind that you will lose a lot of the warning lamps... (headlamp ON, choke ON, hazard lights, fog lamp, handbrake ON, water temperature/oil pressure on the same lamp). You will have fewer things to worry about, in true 4L-style!

Thanks for all the thoughts ... I'm trying to be patient for the "perfect" car to show up, but I'll probably have to compromise somewhere.

I just received some images from a possible candidate ... it's got the modern dash and the interior is far from good, but could you please comment on its state in terms of corrosion or suitability as a "keeper".

Ta, Robert

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/rflossmann/

Back