Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

A great day out didn't end well

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
Had a great day out in my R4, half a mile from home I lost all power and it struggled to make it home, limped it back and suspect the carb is at fault as noticed the fuel filter was full and not passing fuel into the carb, I opened up the carb and noticed the bowl full of fuel but looked gritty, so new gasket and needle value on order, plan to clean out the main jet and replace the fuel filter, while off i noticed the fuel line from the filter to carb looked in poor state so I will be replacing that as well. It ran for two hours before it played up and hope I can fix it with ease. Suns out and I need my car out to play.

Sorry to hear that, but glad you just about managed to get back OK.

Let us know how you get on. :hug:

Sometimes our machines give us bad experiences..

Share how you get it back again.

I notice my aftermarket fuel-line tubes after 3k kms, are very dilated.

Carb gasket and bits should be here this week, purchased new high quality fuel lines today so fingers crossed its running by the weekend
What is bits? Do you will change the bakelite gasket too?

I've ordered a full service kit for the carb including all new gaskets, new fuel hose and clips, fuel filter and once running I'm going to change the oil as well.

So I rebuilt the carb, fully cleaned all the jets, new fuel pipe and filter and it still runs rough, checked all the plugs and they look OK, I gave them a clean and it still runs badly, checked the points and they don't look the best, I undid the disi and moved it slowly to see if this helped it run a little better and there was a slight improvement, so next steps swap the points and re do the timing, does anyone know the best place to get a set of points in the UK, I have a duciller disi.

So I rebuilt the carb, fully cleaned all the jets, new fuel pipe and filter and it still runs rough, checked all the plugs and they look OK, I gave them a clean and it still runs badly, checked the points and they don't look the best, I undid the disi and moved it slowly to see if this helped it run a little better and there was a slight improvement, so next steps swap the points and re do the timing, does anyone know the best place to get a set of points in the UK, I have a duciller disi.
Hi Richard
Is your Ducellier the usual type (1st picture), or is it the type with externally adjustable points (2nd)?
1650403231657.jpeg
1650403163362.jpeg

Have you checked the condenser? It's sometimes referred to as the capacitor, but it's the same thing. If the points aren't in the best of health it's often sign that they've been handling too much current, which is precisely what the condenser is meant to assist them in handling. There's a way to test if the capacitor is failing, using a decent multi-meter and I should investigate this as well. For some unaccountable reason the condenser is often overlooked. Happy to advise further if needed!

Yes, I had a fairly new condenser fail, and it resulted in the car barely making it up hills.

When you say "checked the points and they don't look the best " did you some measure?

The points have probably become pitted as a result of the capacitor's failure, allowing too much of a "jolt" going through them. This "jolt" is cushioned when the capacitor does its job properly and I suspect yours isn't.

I am happy to report I have a well running Renault 4, popped over to see Brian Whiteside this morning and collected new old stock, disi cap, rotor arm, points and condenser, timed her up by jacking up the front wheel and setting the timing to 7degs before TDC, set the points and measured the dwell at 56degs, started on the button and drives and pulls a lot better, so having thought it was the carb at least that's had a clean, new float valve and diaphragm, new fuel filter and replaced the crumbling fuel pipes. I also replaced the vacuum advance pipe as it was toasted. So I think my issue was points and or condenser, suspect the points that I got from my local motor store where cheap ones. They are lucas parts now.
I'd like to thank everyone for your support, it's a great forum and I'm very grateful cheers Richard

Back