Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Accelerator Pump?

NickHay

Enthusiast
Hi guys, I've now finally got it running and I'm very pleased I have to say :-) The only issue I have is that it wants to die when I press the accelerator. I've checked for all apparent things like air leaks etc, the only thing I haven't checked is the pump, but where is it?? Am I being stupid?

Hi Nick, what kind of carb do you have? The Zenith 28 IF doesn't have an accelerator pump, only the Zenith 32 IF7 does.
perhaps you need to just advance your timing a little.

If it's a Zenith 32IF7 the accelerator pump is a piston in the carb body, actuated through a rod.

Solex carbs also have an accelerator pump incorporated. And like #NickHay’s R4, mine (1985 845cc, Solex carb) tends to die when the accelerator is pushed in. Only when idling. The overall performance is fine. Tweaking the timing made a bit of difference, but not much.

I’ve heard about this from other R4 owners and suspect it may be an endemic, insoluble problem which one just has to live with. As long as one makes sure the revs are up before letting the clutch in (particularly when pulling out from sideroads) no harm is done.

No such problems with 3 Solex 32mm carbs with acceleration pump.
Are you able to acces if there is to much or to little petrol when it dyes down upon accelerating?

Back