Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

accident

mathiszig

Enthusiast
Hi there
10 days ago someone drove into the back of my R4, and then provided complete bogus contact details.... registration number valid but highly likely driver not insured. Arghhh. Anyway, back of car is 'stoved' in, bumper is complete mess, backdoor jammed shut.... and petrol gauge is not working anymore. (apparently chassi got bent too and the whole car needs to get pulled on a rack???) But it's running and whilst waiting for some miracle from insurance/police investigation, a couple of questions.
Anyone know how to fix petrol gauge?
and where could I get a spare back bumper?
thanks Lucie

Sorry to hear that. Mine had a bash in the rear just after restoration. I've not repaired it yet, just put a new bootlid and bumper on, and persuaded the boot floor back into place.

The fuel gauge wire runs from the rear wheelarch just behind the LHS rear light, behind the bumper, then forward inside the chassis member to the tank. It might have been cut through in the accident, but if you can find the two ends and twist them together and tape them up the gauge should work again.

The insurance company will normally write the car off. The money should be enough for someone like Derek Flavill (or me for that matter) to make it roadworthy. Rear bumpers are still availble from Renault. Compare the price with Der Franzose. Shouldn't be more than £45.

Here's mine after the bump:

mini-bent_renault.jpg

I could be persuaded. :D

I'd happily help out on jobs that would take less than a week, but wouldn't take on a restoration or anything daft like that. I've got other things on the boil to try to replace the automotive industry work and they are my priority just now (as is avoiding spending any money).

Back