Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Air cleaner

Rustyoldjcb

Enthusiast
In reality trying not to be a complete numpty here, but on my other old cars removing the nut on top of the air cleaner would allow me to lift the air cleaner assembly off the carb. No so the F4. I remove the nut and nothing lifts off/moves, even when a bit of force is used. What am I missing? A brain? :-)
20200801_183844.jpg

Hi

I notice you do not have a wing nut on the cover which would be hand tightened but you have a regular nut which would have been tightened with a spanner. If the nut has been overtightened in the past, the cover may have been pressed down too firmly onto the baseplate. Grab hold of the air filter intake duct hose at the cover end where the intake hose slips over the metal lip which protrudes from the cover and wiggle, this should give you enough purchase to lift off. Once the cover is off you will have access to the baseplate which is secured with three nuts. The assembly does not come off in one piece, cover first > access to filter> then baseplate removal if necessary.

Hi

I notice you do not have a wing nut on the cover which would be hand tightened but you have a regular nut which would have been tightened with a spanner. If the nut has been overtightened in the past, the cover may have been pressed down too firmly onto the baseplate. Grab hold of the air filter intake duct hose at the cover end where the intake hose slips over the metal lip which protrudes from the cover and wiggle, this should give you enough purchase to lift off. Once the cover is off you will have access to the baseplate which is secured with three nuts. The assembly does not come off in one piece, cover first > access to filter> then baseplate removal if necessary.
Brilliant! That's top info! Much appreciated!!!

Hi

It was stuck with paint. A bit of jiggling had it free and I cleaned up the mating surfaces. Sorted!

Back