Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Alternator connecting

Brandon

Enthusiast
Hello all, I've converted from 6v to 12v. I've installed the alternator and replaced the volt regulator. + on alternator is connected to D+ on regulator. EXC to EXC on regulator. Ground on alternator to ground on car. But the alternator isn't charging my battery as it should. Alternator has been checked and is good. Somewhere I'm screwed up on these connections. Can someone please explain how it's supposed to be hooked up? Maybe a picture how you've done it? Thanks for any help, Brandon

Your alternator might not need the regulator which was originally in the car when you had a dynamo fitted. Some alternators have regulators fitted inside them, in which case the regulator in the car is superfluous. The lead to the ignition warning lamp on the car dashboard should also be connected to the alternator. A picture of your alternator and wiring might help.....

If the alternator does not have an internal reulator, as Andrew noted, make sure the voltage regulator is for alternator and not for dynamo. D+ seems to me like a dynamo regulator. The connections should be: (+) on alternator to battery (+), EXC on alternator to EXC on regulator. There should be a terminal on the regulator like (+) which should be connected to a switched positive supply.

Thanks for the replies. I will post some photos as soon as the cold rain stops here.

The regulator seems correct. It's as I wrote you earlier: (+) of alternator (M6 stud) to battery positive, EXC (spade terminal) to EXC of regulator, other terminal marked "15" to switched positive.
Where is the black wire from the DF reulator terminal connected?

I've been foolish then.. + on alternator is connected to D+ on regulator. I should run it straight to the pos battery as you said. I'll do that in the morning and see if that solves it.

Hi,
Managed to burn my alternator, it seems very difficult to find a new one without integrated regulator, old one was Ducellier 7597A(40A, 12-14V)
Ii it difficult to set a new one with intgrated regulators and by-pass the existing separate regulator?

It is quite simple the two wires on your existing regulator box can be joined together the box discarded one will now become live when you turn the ignition on which is the original spade connector for your your original alternator
this needs to be connected to the more modern alternator which is supposed to have a two-pin plug
providing it is fitted to the side marked + this will Energize the new alternator and make it work self-regulating
the other terminal would normally be connected to a warning light which obviously you won't have have on your car but but your existing a voltmeter will work on the dashboard to keep you informed of battery situation
If you need further clarification I can provide pictures of the relevant components but I would have to go looking for them
this will definitely work as it is exactly how I had my yellow peril running

It is quite simple the two wires on your existing regulator box can be joined together the box discarded one will now become live when you turn the ignition on which is the original spade connector for your your original alternator
this needs to be connected to the more modern alternator which is supposed to have a two-pin plug
providing it is fitted to the side marked + this will Energize the new alternator and make it work self-regulating
the other terminal would normally be connected to a warning light which obviously you won't have have on your car but but your existing a voltmeter will work on the dashboard to keep you informed of battery situation
If you need further clarification I can provide pictures of the relevant components but I would have to go looking for them
this will definitely work as it is exactly how I had my yellow peril running

Hi, i did disconnect the regulator.
I put the two thick yellow cables to B+(one coming from battery + and another i guess going to the light switch as Angel explained)
There was originally also third thick yellow cable going to regulator.
I have a common warning light for oil/ charging i guess.
What shall i connect to the B- stud and nut?
And bothing to the two male pins on altermator?
See the photos i took
20200521_173930.jpg

• 20200521_173904.jpg
    20200521_173904.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1
if the wires have 6mm hole they go on stud with 10mm nut
5mm hole wire is earth point and connects to 8mm nut
there will be a spade connection that will push onto the + marked pin in the 2 pin hole
you never had battery light so won't have one now
finally the 2 wires you have removed from box on dashboard need joining together and box can be discarded
any more instructions needed WhatsApp me on 07973423795
video call ok in working hours when you are with car

if the wires have 6mm hole they go on stud with 10mm nut
5mm hole wire is earth point and connects to 8mm nut
there will be a spade connection that will push onto the + marked pin in the 2 pin hole
you never had battery light so won't have one now
finally the 2 wires you have removed from box on dashboard need joining together and box can be discarded
any more instructions needed WhatsApp me on 07973423795
video call ok in working hours when you are with car
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I say !

this is what i will do;
1) disconnected wires from the regulator box has to be joined together (black wire with 3mm hole end and red isolated spade wire).
2) connect yellow 5mm(to be checked if so) hole end cable to B- alternator and other end on firewall 3mm bolt(as it was earlier on connected but now the regulator removed)
3) connect black wire with isolated spade connector to + marked pin in the 2 pin hole of the alternator
4) no separate battery light will be needed

hopefully the socket on alternator has got the 2 spade pins identified ok I can check which side is needed
well done for perfectly understanding my instructions
not sure of your native language but well done

hopefully the socket on alternator has got the 2 spade pins identified ok I can check which side is needed
well done for perfectly understanding my instructions
not sure of your native language but well done
OK
Its Rotovis Automotive Electrics product, Autodoc GmbH product 9034761/080802
  • ROTOVIS Automotive Electrics 9034761
  • EAN: ROTOVIS Automotive Electrics 4011930347611

• 20200425_113844.pdf
    696.2 KB · Views: 7
Back