Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

An overheating R4

nicky4tl

Enthusiast
Hi,
In my ongoing search for another r4 (845cc 1982) Ive found one which the owner says is in good nick. Its imported from the south of france (no rust apparently!). But heres the catch. She (the present owner) says its overheating. This started apparently when she replaced the heater matrix, which didnt work, and postulates that there could be an airlock as she didnt take enough care refilling the cooling system.
Does this sound sensible?
Am i mad to look at a car that overheats? Is there any way I can know if the engine has been damaged by overheating if it is just an airlock in the cooling system?
Any ideas you could offer would be great. I think Ill go and have a look at it on saturday. Any recommendations on price if the body is good would be really appreciated too.

Thanks

Nicky

Sounds like she's got air in the cooling system - this will lead to overheating. This can damage the engine - in particular overheating can cause the head gasket to blow. It's difficult to tell until after the system has been correctly filled. Then the car needs to be driven for half an hour, then let it cool down completely (preferably overnight) and then remove the top from the expansion tank - it it hisses it meand there is more pressure in there than you started with - ie combustion gasses are finding their way in.

If the rest of the car is wonderful then it will probably be worth the risk. At worst it's a new engine (£50). Should be able to beat down the price a lot for engine troubles.

Great. Thanks for that advice. Ill go have a look anyway. Apparently shes got alloys on which could be amusing too (if a little naff).

It's a special offer from Clementine's garage. Ermintrude's (actually working) engine will be available for that kind of price next year at some point. I'm sure Liam will also do engines for that sort of money.

I suppose I'm thinking of secondhand engines rather than outright new ones. :D

off the point a little but has anyone ever tried changing a lhd to rhd? I have my rusted rhd gtl and was wondering if i got an import would that be an entertaining project?

Mmmmm!!!!

A very entertaining project. The only metal panel you will need is a RHD bulkhead then swap the plastic bits from your rusty car over. I should imagine that the pedal assembly and steering column are the same for LHD and RHD. I would bet a tenner that Renault have a bulkhead in stock!!

Steve

Back