Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

and another question on electronic ignition...

i used to use Boyer Bransden units on my 1970's Triumph motorcycles always did precisely what it said on the tin.

Let’s hope it still does. UAZ04 seems to be very happy with his.
I used to ride a 500 speed twin in the early seventies. Belonged to Her Majesty (MOD) though, so didn’t have the luxury of electronic ignition. Still a good ride!

barry ....that kit sounds as good buy......please do take few pictures of that kit and how did you installed it (when you do)

Of course, your driving experience with it is also very welcome (after you put it on car)

Good luck and yes, do let us know! For me, years have passed with no regrets about BB :-)

And don't afraid to bump up the advance a bit - modern petrol almost demands it!

No idea whatsoever! I do it all by 'feel' :) Best I can guess is somewhere in the 5-7 degree range, but many other things also come into play.

I've done an R4 image seach for the motor, and I looked at where the distributor cap is situated. Imagine that the plug leads are N, S, E and W compass points....often from the right side of the motor the points are up and down, right and left exactly, and sometimes they are turned counter clockwise up to 12-15 degrees! Somewhere in this range you'll find the best for your car. I keep an 11mm in the car, in case I hear any pinging, so I can micro adjust it back a hair, or try advancing it for better motorway top speed or a wild rally ride around our twisty bits.

Back